What do I do if I have to miss class for personal or health reasons?

If you are ill and missing only one day of classes, you can contact class professors by phone or e-mail directly and leave a clear message including your name, the section of the class you are in, and that you are ill and will be missing the class.

If you are ill or experiencing a personal problem that will cause you to miss more than one day of classes, you must contact CALSStudentServices@uvm.edu. We will notify the instructors for you and copy you on the correspondence, but you will also need to work with that instructor to discuss their expectations in reference to your absence. You should be able to find the attendance policy in your course syllabi.

If you are experiencing any other personal or health issues, we are here to help and can connect you to other helpful resources such as the Center for Health and Wellbeing, Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS), or Student Accessibility Services. Please reach out to us at calsstudentservices@uvm.edu.

What does it mean to be put on academic probation?

At the end of a semester if your semester or cumulative GPA is below a 2.00, the CALS Studies Committee will meet to discuss your situation and decide what your status will be for the following semester. Please review the complete academic probation guidelines.

Your status in CALS is determined by the level of your probation. A letter is emailed to each student with the Studies Committee's expectations.

Please contact CALSStudentServices@uvm.edu if you would like to discuss your academic probation in detail.

What does it mean when I withdraw from a course? Does it impact my financial aid?

See UVM's withdrawal policy.

From the eleventh day of instruction until the second business day after the 60% point in the semester, students may withdraw from courses (this date is found on the UVM academic calendar for each semester). To do so, students must use the registration system to withdraw from the course. The student's advisor(s) and dean(s) will be notified. The instructor(s) will be aware of the withdrawal by the Withdraw status on the class roster and the presence of a grade of W on the grade roster. Between the second business day after the 60% point in the semester and the last day of classes, students may withdraw from one or more courses only by demonstrating to their college/school that the withdrawal is necessitated by medical and/or extenuating circumstances.

Students with questions about how withdrawals may impact their financial aid and/or scholarships should contact UVM Student Financial Services directly.

How many credits can I sign up for as a full-time student without having to pay extra tuition?

UVM considers full-time status as 12-19 credits per semester. However, some students with accommodations via Student Accessibility Services may receive a waiver to enroll in less than 12 credits but still be considered full-time students. 

Undergraduate students enrolled in more than 19 credits per semester will be charged the per credit hour tuition rate for each additional credit above 19. If you are interested in taking more than 19 credits, you should talk to your advisor and email CALSStudentServices@uvm.edu to inquire about an override by permission.

I’m a graduating senior, what are my required next steps?

CALS seniors who are eligible to graduate must submit a Senior Records Check (SRC). To submit an SRC, students should meet with their academic advisor who has access to the form. 

SRCs for May graduates are due March 1st. SRCs for January graduates are due December 1st.

Please email CALSStudentServices@uvm.edu for more information.

How do I change my major?

It is not at all uncommon for students to change majors at the end of their first or second years at the university. Selecting a different major sometimes involves changing from one undergraduate school or college within the university to another. Provided a student is in good academic standing and that space is available in the new area of study selected, requests for a major change are, in most cases, easily accommodated, even when a school or college change within the university is involved.

Students should submit a change of major form through their MyUVM student portal. Once you submit the form, a representative from the college where that major is housed will be in touch with you to discuss next steps.

How do I add a minor?

Although CALS does not require that students declare a minor to graduate, many students declare a minor during their time here at UVM. A minor is typically 15-18 credits (or 5-6 classes).

Students can declare a minor within CALS or from another college/school. Students should submit a change of minor form through their MyUVM student portal. Once you submit the form, a representative from the college where that minor is housed will be in touch with you to confirm or to discuss next steps.

What is the NEBHE Tuition Break program?

The University of Vermont, in participation with the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE)'s RSP Tuition Break program, offers discounted tuition to permanent residents of New England States wishing to pursue select degree programs not available in their home state.

CALS has two majors which are eligible for the NEBHE Tuition Break—Food Systems and Plant Biology.

To remain eligible, students must be enrolled in at least one required course for their major per semester.

More information about UVM's tuition break policy.