International applicants have completed (or will soon complete) the equivalent of secondary school will be considered first-year students. International transfer candidates have enrolled in college or university-level coursework for credit (in the U.S. or abroad). This section is for applicants who are NOT a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee or asylee. Explore the international application process:

Apply Now!

If you are enrolling in university for the first time, you may choose between the following applications:

Coalition Application


Common Application

$55 (U.S.) nonrefundable application fee.

Important Codes for Applying

  • UVM College Board Code: 3920
  • ACT Code: 4322
  • TOEFL Code: 3920

Students taking the IELTS should have the results sent to:

University of Vermont
Office of Admissions
194 South Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05401


Optional Standardized Testing

UVM does not require SAT or ACT scores as part of the application process. We will consider your application complete without an official SAT or ACT score on file. However, if you wish to submit a test score, it will be reviewed with your file.

Students wishing to qualify for merit scholarship and Honors College will be required to submit an official SAT or ACT score.

Note: SAT or ACT scores can be sent without the optional essay.  Applicants who wish to have their scores included in the review process are encouraged to send scores from every SAT or ACT test date in which they received a top score in each section. UVM will accept SAT scores from tests prior to March 2016, as well as scores from the new SAT. Final admissions decisions are based only on your highest section scores, and UVM updates applicant records each time we receive new scores. Official SAT or ACT test scores must be sent by the testing agency.


All applicants whose first language is not English must send official TOEFL or IELTS test scores to the Office of Admissions. The minimum scores for direct entry are as follows:


6.5 IELTS 

Students who are in an English medium education system for their final three years of schooling and are not taking any ESL courses in their final year may qualify for a TOEFL or IELTS waiver.

Students who need additional English language support or more time adjusting to US academic expectations can apply to the UVM Global Gateway program (GGP). The GGP is an intensive English language program that combines English training with university coursework. The minimum scores for GGP are as follows:

55 TOEFL or 5.5 IELTS for the 3 term (12 months)

65 TOEFL or 6.0 IELTS for the 2 term (8 months)

80 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS for the 1 term (4 months)

Students who complete the US Pathway Program in China or Nigeria do not need a TOEFL or IELTS test score.

High School/Secondary School Information

  • Official secondary school transcript sent directly to Admissions by your high school
  • Official translation of transcripts if not already in English
  • First quarter grades or mid-year grades if available
  • One letter of recommendation is required

Transferring Credits

AP, IB, CLEP and credit for other courses/exams taken

International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have completed International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework and received a score of 5 or greater on higher level IB exams, you may be eligible for transfer credit (UVM does not award credit for standard level IB exams). It is not necessary to have completed the entire IB curriculum to qualify for transfer credit. Please consult our PDF icon IB Guide.

Please submit an official IB transcript along with your application for admission. Up to one year of introductory level credit may be awarded in a discipline. If you are admitted to UVM and have questions about IB credit review, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Credit is granted for AP exam scores of 4 or 5 in most subjects; scores of 3 are accepted in some areas. Please consult our complete AP chart (PDF). To receive credit, either submit your official AP Score Report from the College Board with your application for admission, or once admitted/enrolled, submit your official score report from the College Board directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs.

College credit taken in high school

College level coursework completed in high school may be eligible for transfer credit. Coursework must be through a regionally accredited, degree-granting college or university and may be taught within a high school setting; an example of a high school-based program is the Syracuse University Project Advance Program (SUPA). Please submit all official transcripts of college coursework along with your application; transcripts will be reviewed upon admission to the university.

Credit for international post-secondary examinations

Due to the rigorous nature of some international educational systems, the following exams may also be eligible for transfer credit:

Advanced-Level General Certificate of Education Examinations of the British Examination Councils (A-levels)
German Abitur
Colleges d' Enseignement General et Professional (CEGEP) in Quebec, Canada: Only the second and third years of CEGEP are eligible for transfer credit; the first year is not eligible.
Scottish Certificate of Sixth Year Studies: Students must earn a pass of A, B, or C.
For information about receiving credit for these exams, contact the Office of Transfer Affairs.

Contact Information

If you have questions about transferring any of these types of credit before or during the application process, please contact the Office of Admissions via e-mail or phone:

Phone: (802) 656-3370
Students who are admitted should contact the Office of the Registrar, Transfer Affairs directly with questions about credit transfer:

Phone: (802) 656-0867