About the UVM FB Awards
Businesses will be recognized in four categories. Applicants must either be businesses based in Vermont OR out-of-state businesses run by UVMs alumni.
- 1st Gen: Start-up or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- Multi-Gen - US Based Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Multi-Gen - Global Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Vermont Legacy Achievement Award: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success.
Who Can Be Nominated
Any family enterprise that is owned or operated by UVMs alumni and/or based in Vermont.
Who Can Nominate?
Nominations can be submitted by the company (self-nominations) or by associated parties.
The judging panel will evaluate the nominations and select the winners based on the following criteria:
- Financial success of the company
- Governance of the family and the business
- Contributions to the community and industry
- Innovative business practices or strategies
Judges Confirmed for 2017 Awards:
- Steve Schlesinger (’83)– Schlesinger Associates, 2016 Multi-Gen Global Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Sharon Gutwin (’79)– The RehabGYM, 2016 1st Generation Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Lisa Lynn – Addison Press, 2016 Vermont Legacy Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Jarrett Lilien (’84) The Barton Group, 2015 Multi – Gen Global Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Pramodita Sharma - Sanders Professor for Family Business, UVM Grossman School of Business (non-voting chair)
1st GENERATION FAMILY FIRM: Start-up or purchased firm with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- 2016: The RehabGYM
- 2015: MyWebGrocer
- 2013: A.W. Brown Pet & Garden Store, East Longmeadow, MA
- 2012: DLC Management Corporation, Tarrytown, NY
MULTI-GEN US BASED FIRMS: Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2015: Boyden Valley Winery
- 2014: Butternut Mountain Farm, Morrisville, VT
- 2013: State Garden Inc. / Olivia's Organics, Chelsea, MA
- 2012: Sagamore Golf, North Hampton, NH
MULTI-GEN GLOBAL ENTERPRISE: Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2016: Schlesinger Associates
- 2015: The Barton Group
- 2014: Alqueria Dairy, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2013: DiLeonardo International, Warwick, RI
VERMONT LEGACY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success -
- 2016: Addison Press
- 2015: Branon Family Maple Orchards
- 2014: Wayside Restaurant, Montpelier, VT
- 2013: Dakin Farms, Ferrisburg, VT
- 2012: Maple Landmark Inc., Middlebury, VT
View pictures, videos and more from previous Family Business Awards.
For any questions about the Family Business Awards please email email@example.com