Need more information?
You may also review the requirements for geography's B.A. in the official UVM Catalogue.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Geography
Learning Objectives for the Geography B.A.
Upon completion of the BA degree, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the breadth of the discipline and deeper comprehension of at least one subfield.
- Identify and articulate the connections between theoretical concepts and empirical data.
- Demonstrate basic competence in the research methods of the discipline, as well as the ability to produce and assess representations of geographical data.
- Conduct clear and rigorous communication through written and oral means.
- Critically engage with and contribute to the production of geographic knowledge through the review of existing scholarship and the conduct of original research using disciplinary skills.
The B.A. degree in Geography requires 33 credits in geography plus courses in other fields.
Geography Major Requirements*
The geography major consists of 11 courses (33 hours) which include:
- four required introductory geography courses:
- GEOG 040
- GEOG 050 or GEOG 070
- GEOG 060
- GEOG 081
- 12 geography credits (4 courses) at the 100-199 level
- 6 geography credits (2 courses) at the 200-299 level
- 3 additional geography course credits at any level
* These requirements are effective beginning Fall 2008. Students who declared their geography major or minor prior to Fall 2008 can review their requirements by viewing their CATS (Curriculum Audit Tracking) report, the UVMCatalogue in effect the year they declared their geography major/minor, or by contacting the Geography Department Office.
Last modified September 20 2017 11:18 AM