- 100+ majors in 7 undergraduate schools and colleges
- 53 master's degree programs
- 25 doctoral programs
- 30 accelerated master's programs
- M.D. program
- 4 pre-professional advising options (pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-vet, pre-law)
- Fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) -- Read accreditation letter (PDF)
Enrollment and Size
- Undergraduate: 10,612
- Graduate: 1,552
- Medical: 466
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate: 22
- Non-Degree (CE): 716
- An undergraduate student-faculty ratio of 16:1
- Average undergraduate class size: 32.7
- 98% of classes are taught by faculty (only 2% of classes are taught by graduate assistants)
- 1,685 full and part-time faculty
- 90% of full-time, non-medical faculty hold a Ph.D. or the highest degree in their field
- 95 students have won or been finalists in scholarship competitions ranging from the Fulbright to the Goldwater in the last five years
- #7: UVM ranking for the number of graduates who enter the Peace Corps (among medium-sized schools)
- 94% of those employed full-time from the Class of 2017 are satisfied with with their positions
- 79% of graduates from the Class of 2017 were employed within six months of graduation
- Admit rate to medical school: 56% (national rate: 43%), Admit rate to law school: 85% (national rate: 75%); Admit rate to veterinary school: more than 96% among animal science majors and CREAM program graduates (national rate, approx. 50%)
- 92% of seniors report being engaged in research, an internship or other experience-based learning/high impact practice during their time at UVM
- 40% of seniors report involvement in research with faculty mentor
- Nearly 500 study abroad options in more than 70 countries; 27% of undergraduates study abroad
- 98 service-learning courses; 45% of seniors report having taken at least one service-learning class while at UVM
- 4,076 internships listed by the Career Center
Campus Life and Diversity
- Over 200 student clubs and organizations, including a nationally recognized debate team and a student-run newspaper, radio station, TV station, rescue squad, legal services and many more academic, artistic, musical, cultural, ethnic, political, and religious clubs
- 25+ service clubs promoting health, literacy, and/or social justice
- 83% of students are involved in a club or co-curricular activity
- More than 70% of first-year students live in themed residential communities
- Over 5,700 on-campus students live across four campuses in nine residential complexes with access to over a dozen dining facilities
- 60 club sports, some engaged in intercollegiate competition, and around 20 intramural teams
- 18 NCAA Division I Athletics teams (8 men's and 10 women's)
- Undergraduates enrolled from 48 states and 73 countries
- 11% of undergraduates are students of color; 32% of medical students and 10% of graduate students
- 5% of undergraduates are international students
- 86 student veterans
History and Tradition
- Founded 1791
- Fifth oldest university in New England (after Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown)
- First institution of higher education to declare public support for freedom of religion
- First university to admit women and African-Americans into Phi Beta Kappa honor society
- Called UVM for Universitas Viridis Montis, Latin for "University of the Green Mountains"
- Motto: "Studiis et Rebus Honestis" — "For studies and other honest pursuits"
- School colors: Green and gold
- Mascot: Catamount
Location -- Burlington, Vermont
- Our hometown perennially appears on national rankings that laud its livability, access to nature and recreation (including the best skiing in the northeast), thriving food and music scene, rising identity as a technology and innovation hub, and its status as a top college town.
- Burlington, Vt. metro-area population of approximately 210,000, Vermont's largest city.
- 3.5-hour drive northwest of Boston, 90-minute drive southeast of Montreal -- international and metropolitan culture are easily accessible for weekend adventure.
- Located on Lake Champlain -- a stunning lake with 587 miles (945 kilometers) of shoreline -- Burlington itself features a 12-mile paved bike trail that runs along the lake.
- 25 to 60 minutes to ski resorts, including Bolton Valley, Stowe, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen and Smuggler's Notch
- Burlington's Church Street marketplace and mall feature national chains such as Lululemon, Athleta, Patagonia, Banana Republic, L.L. Bean, Urban Outfitters, GAP, Eddie Bauer, Abercrombie & Fitch and Starbucks, as well as many locally owned stores and boutiques.
- Large local employers include Global Foundries, GE Healthcare, Keurig Green Mountain, Dealer.com, Seventh Generation and Ben & Jerry’s Homemade. Vermont’s public K-12 schools are perennially ranked among the best in the nation.
- 460-acre campus
- Libraries: Howe (main library), Dana (medical library)
- Specialized facilities include: A new STEM complex, Lakeside Rubenstein Ecosystem Science; Stafford Center for Microbiology and Molecular Genetics; an on-campus medical center; nine natural areas, including Mt. Mansfield summit; Morgan Horse Farm; four research farms supporting animal and dairy science, horticulture, and maple research
Admitted Student Profile
Academic Profile of Students Admitted for Fall 2018
- 3.7 (4.0 scale)
SAT/ACT Score Ranges for Middle 50% of Admitted Students
- SAT EBRW: 600-700
- SAT MATH: 600-700
- ACT: 27-32
Applications for Fall 2018
- First-year: 21,059
60% of first-year applicants applied early action
Campus Safety (Clery Act)
- The University of Vermont’s annual security report includes statistics for the previous three completed calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings owned or controlled by UVM; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
- The report includes institutional policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crime, sexual assault, and other important information and resource referrals. You can obtain a copy of this report at the Police Services website.