- Marsden, E. How much carbon is in those mussels? The potential impact of a quagga mussel invasion on energy pathways in Lake Champlain. New faculty project.
- Stockwell, J. and J. Brentrup. Impact of storms on lake phytoplankton community dynamics. Continuing faculty project. What We Don't Know (about lakes) Could Hurt Us, University of Vermont, 2020 | Study in Global Change Biology, 2020
- Stockwell, J. and N. Flores. Cyanobacteria bloom impacts on fish: ecological and human health considerations. Graduate student project.
- Underwood, K. Hydraulic modeling to support Vermont's Functioning Floodplain. New faculty project.
2020 Project Descriptions (PDF)
- Diamond S. and A. Morales-Williams. Response of phytoplankton communities to recovery from acidification in Vermont lakes. Graduate student project.
- Lancellotti, B., E. Adair, and J. Perdiral. Identifying drivers of change in denitrification capacity of riparian soils during the spring snowmelt/runoff period. Graduate student project.
- Stockwell, J.D. Impact of storms on lake phytoplankton community dynamics. Continuing faculty project.
- Stockwell, J.D. Influence of changing lake temperatures on early life stages of freshwater whitefishes at local to global scales: modeling and experimental approaches. New faculty project.
2019 Project Descriptions (PDF)
For project abstracts from 2018 and earlier, visit the USGS State Water Resources webpage and filter for Vermont projects >>
- Flores, N. and J. Stockwell. A field study to investigate potentially toxic cyanobacterial aerosols from Shelburne Pond and farm fields in Vermont. Graduate student project.
- Giddings, L.A. Trails to remediation: the effects of seasonal variations on the acid mine drainage microbiome at Ely Copper Mine in Vershire, VT. Continuing faculty project.
- Hackenburg, D. and R. Gould. A mental models approach to understanding public knowledge of harmful algal blooms in Lake Champlain. Graduate student project.
- Hammond Wagner, C. and A. Zia. Governing water quality limits in agricultural watersheds: Farmer behavior and perceptions under Vermont’s Clean Water Act. Graduate student project.
- Stockwell, J.D. Impact of storms on lake phytoplankton community dynamic. New faculty project.
- Giddings, L.A. Trails to remediation: the effects of seasonal variations on the acid mine drainage microbiome at Ely Copper Mine in Vershire, VT. New faculty project.
- Millar, A. and C. Vatovec. Pharm-free surface waters: identifying barriers and motivators that influence Vermonters’ participation in pharmaceutical take-back programs. Graduate student project.
- Perillo, V. and D. Ross. Phosphorus export from forested watersheds in the Missisquoi Basin. Graduate student project.
- Stockwell, J. Global to local assessment of cyanotoxins in fish. New faculty project.
- Underwood, K. and D. Rizzo. Application of neural networks to classify erosional and depositional stream reaches in glacially-conditioned Vermont catchments. Graduate student project.
- Euclide, P. and J. Marsden. Quantifying the extent and history of habitat fragmentation in the Lake Champlain basin. Graduate student project.
- Hrycik, A. and J. Stockwell. Impacts of climate change on winter-spring transition in plankton communities. Graduate student project.
- Kozel, C. and J. Marsden. Can early feeding ameliorate thiamine deficiency in wild lake trout fry? Graduate student project.
- Vaughan, M. and A. Schroth. Developing high frequency in-situ methods to accurately quantify riverine phosphorus loading to Lake Champlain. Graduate student project.
- Dewoolkar, M., J. O’Neil-Dunne, D. Rizzo, and J. Frolik. System-wide rapid quantification of streambank erosion. 2-year faculty project
- Pinheiro, V., J. Marsden and J. Stockwell. An acoustic telemetry array for Lake Champlain: investigating effects of aquatic habitat fragmentation on lake whitefish. Graduate student project.
- Ross, D. and B. Wemple. Organic phosphorus forms and transformations in Lake Champlain stream corridor soils. 2-year faculty project.
- Morrissey, L. and B. Wemple. Automated mapping of effective impervious area (EIA) to assess stream health. Faculty project.
- Stockwell, J. and W. B. Bowden. Development of monitoring buoy system for lake studies. Faculty project.
- Wemple, B., and D. Ross. Evaluating effectiveness of BMP implementation on gravel roads to reduce sediment and phosphorus runoff. 2-year faculty project.
- Bomblies, A. and J. Hill. Advanced and integrative model of phosphorus loading from high runoff events. 2-year faculty project.
- Bowden, W. B. and J. Shanley. Use of acoustic Doppler current profiler data to estimate sediment and total phosphorus loads to Lake Champlain from the Rock River. 1-year faculty project.
- Ross, D., L. Morrissey, and B. Wemple. Determining phosphorus release potential from eroding streambank sediments in the Lake Champlain Basin of Vermont. 1-year faculty project.
- Margaret J. Eppstein. Advanced computational methods for designing stormwater management projects.
- Morrissey, L., D. Rizzo, D. Ross, and E. Young. 2009, 2010. Quantifying sediment loading due to stream bank erosion in impaired and attainment watersheds in Chittenden County, VT using advanced GIS and remote sensing technologies.
- Ross, D., L. Morrissey, and E. Young. 2009, 2010. Estimating soil phosphorus concentrations along erodible stream corridors in Chittenden County, Vermont
- Ross, D.S. and E. Young. 2009. A Soil-Landscape Modeling Approach to Estimate Riparian Phosphorus Concentrations along Erodible Stream Corridors in Chittenden County, Vermont.
- Dewoolkar, M., and P. Bierman. 2008. Tracing Sources of Eroded Sediment with Atmospherically Produced 10-Be.
- Hill, J. 2008, 2009. Improvement of Phosphorus Load Estimates through the Use of Enzyme-Hydrolysis Measures of Phosphorus Bioavailability.
- Lovell, S. and A. McIntosh. 2008, 2009. Treatment Solutions to Reduce Nutrient and Bacterial Inputs to Lake Champlain at Shelburne Farm.
- Ross, D. 2008. Soil Phosphorus Landscape Variability and Soil Mapping in a Stream.
- Dewoolkar, M., and P. Bierman. 2006. Evaluating Quantitative Models of Riverbank Stability.
- Dewoolkar, M., and P. Bierman. 2006. Riverbank Stability Evaluations: Comparing Quantitative Assessments to Qualitative RGA Scores.
- Rizzo, D. and L. Morrissey. 2006, 2007. An Adaptive Management System using Hierarchical Artificial Neural Networks and Remote Sensing for Fluvial hazard Mitigation.
- Ross, D. and J. Tilley. 2006. Phosphorus Availability from the Soils along Two Streams of the Lake Champlain Basin: Mapping, Characterization and Seasonal Mobility.
- Lini, A. and S. Levine. Trophic Status of Lake Champlain over 400 Years of Changing Land Use: A Paleolomnological Study.
- Petrucci, G. Substrate- and Size-dependent Measurement of Partical-phase Mercury in the Atmosphere by Aerosol Mass Spectrometry.
- Levine, S. and A. Lini. Stable Isotope Analysis of the Contribution of N2 fixation to Phytoplankton Nutrition, Lake Nitrogen Budgets and Lake Eutrophication.
- Manley, T. Lagrangian Drifters Within Lake Champlain - A Pilot Study.
- Morrissey, L.A. Identification of Candidate Parcels for Riparian Buffers: Reducing Fecal Contamination of Vermont Surface Waters.
- Abbott, M.D. and R.S. Stanley. 1999. Modeling Groundwater Recharge and Flow in an Upland.
- Levine, A. and A. Lini. 1998. Stable Isotope Analysis of the Contribution of Atmospheric Nitrogen to Lake Nitrogen Budgets: Does Fixation Prevent Nitrogen Limitation?
- Bierman, P. 1997. Characterizing Ground Water Flow in a Vermont Upland Basin -- Geologic, Geochemical and Hydrologic Approach to Aquifer Delineation and Protection.
- Meals, D.W., E.A. Casell, and W.E. Jokela. 1996. Agricultural Water Quality Issues: A Bi-National Perspective.
- Frymier, L., A.H. Gilbert, R.E. Manning, and C. Mitchell. 1997. River Valuation: A Workbook of Non-Market Resource Valuation.
- Borchardt, M.A. 1994. Effects of Flowing Water on Nitrogen- and Phosphorus-Limited Photosynthesis and Optimum N:P Ratios by Spirogyra Fluviatilis (Charophyceae).
- Borchardt, M.A. 1994. Phosphorus Uptake Kinetics of Spirogyra Fluviatilis (Charophyceae) in Flowing Water.