Learn about research findings from Vermont Water Resources and Lake Studies Center funded projects.
The Vermont Water Center provides an ongoing bibliography of publications, including peer-reviewed journal articles and graduate theses and dissertations, from supported research.
- Stockwell, J.D., J.P. Doubek, R. Adrian, O. Anneville, C.C. Carey, L. Carvalho, L.N. De Senerpont Domis, G. Dur, M.A. Frassl, H.P. Grossart, B.W. Ibelings, M.J. Lajeunesse, A.M. Lewandowska, M.E. Llames, S.I.S. Matsuzaki, E.R. Nodine, P.Nõges, V.P. Patil, F. Pomati, K. Rinke, L.G. Rudstam, J.A. Rusak, N.Salmaso, C.T. Seltmann, D.Straile, S.J. Thackeray, W. Thiery, P. Urrutia‐Cordero, P. Venail, P. Verburg, R.I. Woolway, T. Zohary, M.R. Andersen, R. Bhattacharya, J. Hejzlar, N. Janatian, A.T.N.K. Kpodonu, T.J. Williamson, and H.L. Wilson. 2020. Storm impacts on phytoplankton community dynamics in lakes. Global Change Biology https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.15033
- Giddings, L.A. 2019. Acid rock mine drainage metagenome. Raw sequence data and metadata files. Sequence Read Archive of the National Center for Biotechnology Information. BioProject identifier, PRJNA540505. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioproject?term=PRJNA540505&cmd=DetailsSearch
- Hammond Wagner, C. R. 2019. Governing water quality in agricultural watersheds. Graduate College Dissertations and Theses. 1062. https://scholarworks.uvm.edu/graddis/1062
- Patil, V.P., C.T. Seltmann, N. Salmaso, O. Anneville, M.J. Lajeunesse. 2019. R Package algaeClassify. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/algaeClassify/index.html
- Flores, N. M., T. R. Miller, J. D. Stockwell. 2018. A global analysis of the relationship between concentrations of Microcystins in water and fish. Frontiers in Marine Science, 5:30. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2018.00030
- Hamshaw, S.D. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation. Fluvial processes in motion: Measuring bank erosion and suspended sediment flux using advanced geomatic methods and machine learning. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 306pp.
- Hamshaw, S.D., M. M. Dewoolkar, A. W. Schroth, B. C. Wemple, D. M. Rizzo. 2018. A new machine-learning approach for classifying hysteresis in suspended-sediment discharge relationships using high-frequency monitoring data. Water Resources Research, 54 (6): 4040-4058. https://doi.org/10.1029/2017WR022238
- Vaughan, M. C., Bowden, W. B., Shanley, J. B., Vermilyea, A. , Wemple, B. and Schroth, A. W. (2018), Using in situ UV‐Visible spectrophotometer sensors to quantify riverine phosphorus partitioning and concentration at a high frequency. Limnol Oceanogr Methods. . doi:10.1002/lom3.10287
- Hamshaw, S.D., T. Bryce, D. M. Rizzo, J. O'Neil-Dunne, J. Frolik, M. M. Dewoolkar. 2017. Quantifying streambank movement and topography using unmanned aircraft system photogrammetry with comparison to terrestrial laser scannin. River Research and Applications, 33 (8): 1354-1367. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.3183
- Isles, P.D.F., D.M. Rizzo, Y. Xu, and A.W. Schroth. 2017. Modeling drivers of interannual variability in cyanobacterial blooms severity using self-organizing maps and high-frequency data. Inland Waters 7:333-347.
- Pinheiro, V. M., J. D. Stockwell, J. E. Marsden. 2017. Lake trout (Salvenlinus namaycush) spawning site use in Lake Champlain. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 43(2): 345-351. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2016.12.005
- Garton, J. 2015. M.S. Project. Evaluating the effectiveness of best management practices on rural backroads of Vermont: A retrospective assessment and cost analysis. Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 98pp.
- Ishee, E. R., D. S. Ross, K. M. Garvey, R. R. Bourgault, and C. R. Ford. 2015. Phosphorus Characterization and Contribution from Eroding Streambank Soils of Vermont’s Lake Champlain Basin. J. Environ. Qual. 44:1745-1753. doi:10.2134/jeq2015.02.0108
- Isles, P.D.F., C.D. Giles, T.A. Gearhart, Y. Xu, G.K. Druschel, and A.W. Schroth. 2015. Dynamic internal drivers of a historically severe cyanobacteria bloom in Lake Champlain revealed through comprehensive monitoring. Journal of Great Lakes Research 41:818-829.
- Pinheiro, Victoria M., 2015. M.S. Thesis. Lake trout spawning site use in Lake Champlain & the development of the binomial rolling residence test. Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 59pp.
- Tyler, J. 2014. M.S. Thesis. Field scale topographical assessment of sediment transport and associated phosphorus using the WEPP and SWAT models. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. 84 pp.
- Young, E.O., D.S. Ross, B.J. Cade-Menun, and C.W. Liu. 2013. Phosphorus Speciation in Riparian Soils: A Phosphorus-31 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Enzyme Hydrolysis Study. Soil Science Society of American Journal doi:10.2136/sssaj2012.0313
- Young, E. O., D.S. Ross, C. Alves, and T. Villars. 2012. Soil and landscape influences on native riparian phosphorus availability in three Lake Champlain Basin stream corridors. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 67:1 (1-7).
- Ishee, E.I. 2011. M.S. Thesis. Characterizing phosphorus in eroding streambank soils in Chittenden County, Vermont. Department of Plant & Soil Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 90pp.
- Besaw, LE., D.M. Rizzo, P.R. Bierman, and W. Hackett. In Revision, 2009. Advances in ungauged streamflow prediction using neural networks. Journal of Hydrology. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2010.02.037.2010.
- Johnson, N. R., and J. E. Hill. 2010. Phosphorus Species Composition of Poultry Manure-Amended Soil Using High-Throughput Enzymatic Hydrolysis. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 74:1786-1791. doi:10.2136/sssaj2009.0431
- Besaw, LE., D.M. Rizzo, M. Kline, K.L. Underwood, J.J. Doris, L.A. Morrissey and K. Besaw, LE., D.M. Rizzo, M. Kline, K.L. Underwood, J.J. Doris, L.A. Morrissey and K. Pelletier. 2009. Stream classification using hierarchical artificial neural networks: A fluvial hazard management tool. Journal of Hydrology, Accepted April 6, 2009, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.04.007, 2009.
- Kominami, H. 2009. Synthesizing Summer Water Quality Monitoring Data from Shelburne Farms (2004-2008). Shelburne Farm Technical Report. University of Vermont Plant and Soil Science Department, 35pp.
- Shanley, J. B. and B. Wemple. 2009. Water Quality and Quantity in the Mountain Environment, in J. E. Milne, J. LeMense, and R. A. Virginia (eds.), Mountain Resorts: Ecology and the Law, Surrey, U.K., Ashgate Publishing Ltd.
- Ambers, R. K. R., and B. C. Wemple. 2008. Reservoir sedimentation dynamics: Interplay and implications of human and geologic processes. Northeastern Geology and Environmental Science 30(1):49-60.
- Burgess, Heather D. 2007. M.S. Thesis. Geochemical Indicators of Productivity Change in Lake Champlain, USA-Canada. The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. 191pp.
- Wemple, B. C., J. Shanley, J. Denner, D. Ross, and K. Mills. 2007. Hydrology and water quality in two mountain basins of the northeastern US: assessing baseline conditions and quality in two mountain basins of the northeastern US: assessing baseline conditions and effects of ski area development. Hydrological Processes, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.6700.
- Wheeler, S. M. 2006. An evaluation of the utility of remote sensing for monitoring cyanobacteria in Lake Champlain, thesis completed in fulfillment of Master of Science degree, University of Vermont, October 2006, 89 pages.
- Ferber, L.R., S.N. Levine, A. Lini and G.P. Livingston. 2004. Do cyanobacteria dominate in eutrophic lakes because they fix atmospheric nitrogen? Freshwater Biology 49: 690-708.
- Dybas, C. 2003. Harmful algal blooms: Biosensors provide new ways of detecting and monitoring Growing threat in coastal waters. BioScience 53(10): 918-923. 2003.
- Sargent, Deborah H. 2001. M.S. Thesis. Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Escherichia coli in the Mad River Watershed, Vermont. School of Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 68pp.
- Papadopoulou MP, GF Pinder and GP Karatzas. 2000. Optimal Management of a Coastal Aquifer Using Least-Cost Technology, Proceedings of the XIII International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Vol. I, pp. 561-566, Calgary Alberta, Canada.
- Abbott, MD and Stanley, RS. 1999. Modeling groundwater recharge and flow in an upland fractured bedrock aquifer. System Dynamics Review 15(2): 163-184.
- Borchardt, MA. 1994. Effects of flowing water on nitrogen- and phosphorus-limited photosynthesis and optimum N:P rations by Spirogyra fluviatilis (charophyceae). Journal of Phycology 30(30):418-430.
- Borchardt, MA, Hoffman, JP, and Cook, PW. 1994. Phosphorus uptake kinetics of Spirogyra fluviatilis Charophyceae in flowing water. Journal of Phycology 30(3):403-417.
- Douglas, WC, McIntosh, A, Clausen, JC. 1993. Toxicity of sediments containing atrazine and carbofuran to larvae of the midge Chironomus tentans. Enviromental Toxicology and Chemistry 12(5):847-853.
- Duchovnay A, JW Reid, A McIntosh. 1992. Thermocyclops crassus (Crustacea: Copepoda) present in North America: a new record from Lake Champlain. J. Great Lakes Res. 18: 415-419.
- Shellinger, GR and Clausen, JC. 1992. Vegetative filter treatment of dairy barnyard runoff in cold regions. Journal of Environmental Quality 21(1):40-45.
- Watzin, MC. 1992. A research and monitoring agenda for Lake Champlain : proceedings of a workshop, December 17-19, 1991, Burlington, Vermont. Lake Champlain Basin Program technical report 1.
- Brynn, DJ and Clausen, JC. 1991. Postharvest assessment of Vermont's acceptable silvicultural management practices and water quality impacts. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 8(4):140-144.
- Kirn, RA and LaBar, GW. 1991. Stepped-oblique midwater trawling as an assessment technique for rainbow smelt. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 11:167-176.
- Clausen, JC and Johnson, GD. 1990. Lake level Influences on sediment and nutrient retention in a lakeside wetland. Journal of Environmental Quality 19(1):83-88.
- Davis, LS, Hoffman, JP, and Cook, PW. 1990. Production and nutrient accumulation by periphyton in a wastewater tretment facility. Journal of Phycology 26(4):617-623.
- Davis, LS, Hoffman, JP, and Cook, PW. 1990. Seasonal succession of algal periphyton from a wastewater treatment facility. Journal of Phycology 26(4):611-617.
- Ross, DS and RJ Bartlett. 1990. Effects of Extraction Methods and Sample Storage on Properties of Solutions Obtained from Forested Spodosols. Journal of Environmental Quality 19(1):108-113.
- Clausen, JC and Meals, DW. 1989. Water quality achievable with agricultural best management practices. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 44(6):593-596.
- Schwer, CB and Clausen, JC. 1989. Vegetative filter treatment of dairy milkhouse wastewater. Journal of Environmental Quality 18(4):446-451.
- Ratsep, AI and Sjogren, RE. 1984. Assay for biologicaly available phosphorus using proteolytic Aeromonas hydrophila. Freshwater Biology14:423-429.
- Hopkins, RB and Clausen, JC. 1983. Land use monitoring and assessment for nonpoint source pollution control. Perspectives on Nonpoint Source Pollution, Proceedings of a National Conference, Kansas City MO. May 19-22, 1985. Environmental Protection Agency, 1985. p 25-29.
- Ciali, CP and Manning, RE. 1981. Recreation and River Type: Social-Environmental Relationships. Environmental Management 5(2): 109-120.
- Sjogren, RE and Gibson, MJ. 1981. Bacterial survival in a dilute environment. Applied Environmental Microbiology 41(6):1331-1336.
- Sjogren, RE and Port, J. 1981. Heavy metal-antibiotic resistant bacteria in a lake recreational area. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 15:29-44.