Learn about research findings from Vermont Water Resources and Lake Studies Center funded projects.
The Vermont Water Center provides an ongoing bibliography of publications, including peer-reviewed journal articles and graduate theses and dissertations, from supported research.
- Giddings, L.A. 2019. Acid rock mine drainage metagenome. Raw sequence data and metadata files. Sequence Read Archive of the National Center for Biotechnology Information. BioProject identifier, PRJNA540505. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioproject?term=PRJNA540505&cmd=DetailsSearch
- Hammond Wagner, C. R. 2019. Governing water quality in agricultural watersheds. Graduate College Dissertations and Theses. 1062. https://scholarworks.uvm.edu/graddis/1062
- Patil, V.P., C.T. Seltmann, N. Salmaso, O. Anneville, M.J. Lajeunesse. 2019. R Package algaeClassify. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/algaeClassify/index.html
- Flores, N. M., T. R. Miller, J. D. Stockwell. 2018. A global analysis of the relationship between concentrations of Microcystins in water and fish. Frontiers in Marine Science, 5:30. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2018.00030
- Hamshaw, S.D. 2018. Ph.D. Dissertation. Fluvial processes in motion: Measuring bank erosion and suspended sediment flux using advanced geomatic methods and machine learning. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 306pp.
- Hamshaw, S.D., M. M. Dewoolkar, A. W. Schroth, B. C. Wemple, D. M. Rizzo. 2018. A new machine-learning approach for classifying hysteresis in suspended-sediment discharge relationships using high-frequency monitoring data. Water Resources Research, 54 (6): 4040-4058. https://doi.org/10.1029/2017WR022238
- Vaughan, M. C., Bowden, W. B., Shanley, J. B., Vermilyea, A. , Wemple, B. and Schroth, A. W. (2018), Using in situ UV‐Visible spectrophotometer sensors to quantify riverine phosphorus partitioning and concentration at a high frequency. Limnol Oceanogr Methods. . doi:10.1002/lom3.10287
- Hamshaw, S.D., T. Bryce, D. M. Rizzo, J. O'Neil-Dunne, J. Frolik, M. M. Dewoolkar. 2017. Quantifying streambank movement and topography using unmanned aircraft system photogrammetry with comparison to terrestrial laser scannin. River Research and Applications, 33 (8): 1354-1367. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.3183
- Isles, P.D.F., D.M. Rizzo, Y. Xu, and A.W. Schroth. 2017. Modeling drivers of interannual variability in cyanobacterial blooms severity using self-organizing maps and high-frequency data. Inland Waters 7:333-347.
- Pinheiro, V. M., J. D. Stockwell, J. E. Marsden. 2017. Lake trout (Salvenlinus namaycush) spawning site use in Lake Champlain. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 43(2): 345-351. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2016.12.005
- Garton, J. 2015. M.S. Project. Evaluating the effectiveness of best management practices on rural backroads of Vermont: A retrospective assessment and cost analysis. Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 98pp.
- Ishee, E. R., D. S. Ross, K. M. Garvey, R. R. Bourgault, and C. R. Ford. 2015. Phosphorus Characterization and Contribution from Eroding Streambank Soils of Vermont’s Lake Champlain Basin. J. Environ. Qual. 44:1745-1753. doi:10.2134/jeq2015.02.0108
- Isles, P.D.F., C.D. Giles, T.A. Gearhart, Y. Xu, G.K. Druschel, and A.W. Schroth. 2015. Dynamic internal drivers of a historically severe cyanobacteria bloom in Lake Champlain revealed through comprehensive monitoring. Journal of Great Lakes Research 41:818-829.
- Pinheiro, Victoria M., 2015. M.S. Thesis. Lake trout spawning site use in Lake Champlain & the development of the binomial rolling residence test. Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 59pp.
- Tyler, J. 2014. M.S. Thesis. Field scale topographical assessment of sediment transport and associated phosphorus using the WEPP and SWAT models. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. 84 pp.
- Young, E.O., D.S. Ross, B.J. Cade-Menun, and C.W. Liu. 2013. Phosphorus Speciation in Riparian Soils: A Phosphorus-31 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Enzyme Hydrolysis Study. Soil Science Society of American Journal doi:10.2136/sssaj2012.0313
- Young, E. O., D.S. Ross, C. Alves, and T. Villars. 2012. Soil and landscape influences on native riparian phosphorus availability in three Lake Champlain Basin stream corridors. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 67:1 (1-7).
- Ishee, E.I. 2011. M.S. Thesis. Characterizing phosphorus in eroding streambank soils in Chittenden County, Vermont. Department of Plant & Soil Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 90pp.
- Besaw, LE., D.M. Rizzo, P.R. Bierman, and W. Hackett. In Revision, 2009. Advances in ungauged streamflow prediction using neural networks. Journal of Hydrology. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2010.02.037.2010.
- Johnson, N. R., and J. E. Hill. 2010. Phosphorus Species Composition of Poultry Manure-Amended Soil Using High-Throughput Enzymatic Hydrolysis. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 74:1786-1791. doi:10.2136/sssaj2009.0431
- Besaw, LE., D.M. Rizzo, M. Kline, K.L. Underwood, J.J. Doris, L.A. Morrissey and K. Besaw, LE., D.M. Rizzo, M. Kline, K.L. Underwood, J.J. Doris, L.A. Morrissey and K. Pelletier. 2009. Stream classification using hierarchical artificial neural networks: A fluvial hazard management tool. Journal of Hydrology, Accepted April 6, 2009, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.04.007, 2009.
- Kominami, H. 2009. Synthesizing Summer Water Quality Monitoring Data from Shelburne Farms (2004-2008). Shelburne Farm Technical Report. University of Vermont Plant and Soil Science Department, 35pp.
- Shanley, J. B. and B. Wemple. 2009. Water Quality and Quantity in the Mountain Environment, in J. E. Milne, J. LeMense, and R. A. Virginia (eds.), Mountain Resorts: Ecology and the Law, Surrey, U.K., Ashgate Publishing Ltd.
- Ambers, R. K. R., and B. C. Wemple. 2008. Reservoir sedimentation dynamics: Interplay and implications of human and geologic processes. Northeastern Geology and Environmental Science 30(1):49-60.
- Burgess, Heather D. 2007. M.S. Thesis. Geochemical Indicators of Productivity Change in Lake Champlain, USA-Canada. The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. 191pp.
- Wemple, B. C., J. Shanley, J. Denner, D. Ross, and K. Mills. 2007. Hydrology and water quality in two mountain basins of the northeastern US: assessing baseline conditions and quality in two mountain basins of the northeastern US: assessing baseline conditions and effects of ski area development. Hydrological Processes, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.6700.
- Wheeler, S. M. 2006. An evaluation of the utility of remote sensing for monitoring cyanobacteria in Lake Champlain, thesis completed in fulfillment of Master of Science degree, University of Vermont, October 2006, 89 pages.
- Ferber, L.R., S.N. Levine, A. Lini and G.P. Livingston. 2004. Do cyanobacteria dominate in eutrophic lakes because they fix atmospheric nitrogen? Freshwater Biology 49: 690-708.
- Dybas, C. 2003. Harmful algal blooms: Biosensors provide new ways of detecting and monitoring Growing threat in coastal waters. BioScience 53(10): 918-923. 2003.
- Sargent, Deborah H. 2001. M.S. Thesis. Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Escherichia coli in the Mad River Watershed, Vermont. School of Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 68pp.
- Papadopoulou MP, GF Pinder and GP Karatzas. 2000. Optimal Management of a Coastal Aquifer Using Least-Cost Technology, Proceedings of the XIII International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Vol. I, pp. 561-566, Calgary Alberta, Canada.
- Abbott, MD and Stanley, RS. 1999. Modeling groundwater recharge and flow in an upland fractured bedrock aquifer. System Dynamics Review 15(2): 163-184.
- Borchardt, MA. 1994. Effects of flowing water on nitrogen- and phosphorus-limited photosynthesis and optimum N:P rations by Spirogyra fluviatilis (charophyceae). Journal of Phycology 30(30):418-430.
- Borchardt, MA, Hoffman, JP, and Cook, PW. 1994. Phosphorus uptake kinetics of Spirogyra fluviatilis Charophyceae in flowing water. Journal of Phycology 30(3):403-417.
- Douglas, WC, McIntosh, A, Clausen, JC. 1993. Toxicity of sediments containing atrazine and carbofuran to larvae of the midge Chironomus tentans. Enviromental Toxicology and Chemistry 12(5):847-853.
- Duchovnay A, JW Reid, A McIntosh. 1992. Thermocyclops crassus (Crustacea: Copepoda) present in North America: a new record from Lake Champlain. J. Great Lakes Res. 18: 415-419.
- Shellinger, GR and Clausen, JC. 1992. Vegetative filter treatment of dairy barnyard runoff in cold regions. Journal of Environmental Quality 21(1):40-45.
- Watzin, MC. 1992. A research and monitoring agenda for Lake Champlain : proceedings of a workshop, December 17-19, 1991, Burlington, Vermont. Lake Champlain Basin Program technical report 1.
- Brynn, DJ and Clausen, JC. 1991. Postharvest assessment of Vermont's acceptable silvicultural management practices and water quality impacts. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry 8(4):140-144.
- Kirn, RA and LaBar, GW. 1991. Stepped-oblique midwater trawling as an assessment technique for rainbow smelt. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 11:167-176.
- Clausen, JC and Johnson, GD. 1990. Lake level Influences on sediment and nutrient retention in a lakeside wetland. Journal of Environmental Quality 19(1):83-88.
- Davis, LS, Hoffman, JP, and Cook, PW. 1990. Production and nutrient accumulation by periphyton in a wastewater tretment facility. Journal of Phycology 26(4):617-623.
- Davis, LS, Hoffman, JP, and Cook, PW. 1990. Seasonal succession of algal periphyton from a wastewater treatment facility. Journal of Phycology 26(4):611-617.
- Ross, DS and RJ Bartlett. 1990. Effects of Extraction Methods and Sample Storage on Properties of Solutions Obtained from Forested Spodosols. Journal of Environmental Quality 19(1):108-113.
- Clausen, JC and Meals, DW. 1989. Water quality achievable with agricultural best management practices. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 44(6):593-596.
- Schwer, CB and Clausen, JC. 1989. Vegetative filter treatment of dairy milkhouse wastewater. Journal of Environmental Quality 18(4):446-451.
- Ratsep, AI and Sjogren, RE. 1984. Assay for biologicaly available phosphorus using proteolytic Aeromonas hydrophila. Freshwater Biology14:423-429.
- Hopkins, RB and Clausen, JC. 1983. Land use monitoring and assessment for nonpoint source pollution control. Perspectives on Nonpoint Source Pollution, Proceedings of a National Conference, Kansas City MO. May 19-22, 1985. Environmental Protection Agency, 1985. p 25-29.
- Ciali, CP and Manning, RE. 1981. Recreation and River Type: Social-Environmental Relationships. Environmental Management 5(2): 109-120.
- Sjogren, RE and Gibson, MJ. 1981. Bacterial survival in a dilute environment. Applied Environmental Microbiology 41(6):1331-1336.
- Sjogren, RE and Port, J. 1981. Heavy metal-antibiotic resistant bacteria in a lake recreational area. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 15:29-44.