University of Vermont

UVM Police Services

About Us: Awards & Commendations

Life Saving Award 2007  
Awarded to

Officer Patrick Flynn and Officer Sue Roberts

On Sept 12, 2006, Police Services dispatch received a 911 call for an unconscious person at the field by the Gutterson. When officers arrived, John Stawinski from Athletics was administering CPR and Officer Sue Roberts quickly began chest compressions. UVM Rescue arrived and began working to resuscitate student Michael Milmoe. Officer Pat Flynn climbed into the ambulance and continued chest compressions as they drove to FAHC. Mike's heart stopped several times that day, but he survived. He survived because of the efforts of his friends who called 911, Athletics Staffer John Stawinski, UVM Rescue, Ofc. Sue Roberts and Ofc. Patrick Flynn.   2006  
Awarded to

Sgt. Michael T. Thomas and Officer Timothy Bilodeau

On February 4 at midnight, members of our team were dispatched to a residence hall on Main Campus in response to an attempted suicide call. At the room, they found one of our students with severe head and neck lacerations. Having lost a tremendous amount of blood, and as he began to lose consciousness, he questioned why he had done this to himself. He didn't want to die. He is alive today because of the swift actions of two of our team members and the students who found him when they did.   2005  
Awarded to

Officer Sue Roberts, Officer Jason Bellavance, Officer William Sullivan

Carbon Monoxide Incident – Taking us back to Sunday, January 30, 2005 at approximately noon, the University of Vermont Department of Police Services Emergency 911 Dispatch Center received a 911 call of a gas leak at a privately owned residence hall on the University of Vermont campus. Officers Sue Roberts, William Sullivan and Jason Bellavance responded (Bellavance was in field training assigned to Officer Sullivan). On arrival, the building superintendent told Officers Sullivan and Bellavance that there were many people either dead or unconcious inside the apartments. After instructing Officer Bellavance to stay outside, Officer Sullivan entered the building, specifically apartment 3-12, and immediately experienced a lack of oxygen. He found Jeff Rodliff, already deceased, but heard the sound of breathing from elsewhere in the room. He had to suspend his search in order to get air. He ran outside, caught his breath, and returned to the bedside where he found Ginger Aldrich. Again, he was forced to leave the apartment for oxygen. He had been inside no more than 2 minutes. Officer Sullivan, knowing that there were other people in the other apartments, moved quickly up the stairs into apartment 3-11. When he got to the top of the stairs, his knees buckled and he felt as if he’d “walked into a wall.” He entered the apartment and located a woman on her back in the bedroom. She did not respond to his yells; her eyes were open and dilated. She did not appear to be breathing. He then found a second woman lying on the floor, half in the second bedroom and half in the hallway. She was breathing. Feeling lightheaded and breathless, he was forced again to run from the building knowing he couldn’t carry either of them in his condition. He had been inside no more than 2 minutes. Once outside he caught his breath and instructed Officer Bellavance and the Rescue Crew Chief to keep everyone out of the building. Officer Roberts had arrived on-scene and the two re-entered the building to continue their search. They opened windows and doors where they could, but couldn’t get the window in the bedroom open where Ginger was; they were forced to leave again. Again, after getting air, they went back to apartment 3-11 but were overcome by the fumes and had to leave. Officer Sullivan checked on the estimated time of arrival for the Burlington Fire Department and asked dispatch to call a police supervisor and call-in second shift. When the fire department arrived, he briefed the first fire fighter and both re-entered Apt. 3-11 where they triaged the first woman on the floor and carried the second out of the building. On the way down the stairs, Officer Sullivan began losing strength and stamina. Time inside the building was approximately 2 minutes by this point. When he reached the outside he informed the firefighters that others were incapacitated in the building, and suggested they sweep the remaining apartments. Seven people were rescued from that building by Officers Sullivan and Roberts, and a Burlington (VT) firefighter. Two were flown by chopper to Montreal, two to Boston, and 2 to Syracuse for hyperbaric treatments. 7 recovered. Both Officer Sullivan and Officer Roberts were treated at the Emergency Room for carbon monoxide poisoning. Officer William Sullivan, Officer Sue Roberts, and Officer Jason Bellavance collectively saved the lives of 7 people that day. A lot has been rightfully been said about those who survived this tragedy. There is no doubt that facing one’s mortality changes your perspective on life forever. Laws have been passed and changes made all over Vermont because of the lessons learned here. Having said this, I want to seize this moment to do what has not yet been done so publically, to call attention to the heroes who also survived this tragedy. They put themselves in harmsway when they could have justifiably secured the building and waited for more resources. But they didn’t do this. They risked their lives to save others – they reminded us all that police and firefighters put themselves at risk every day to serve their communities. The impact of this incident on their lives is without measure. When you join the police and fire departments no one really explains the potential consequences of being a hero – the nightmares; the stress reactions; the sleepless nights; the post traumatic stress. You’re expected to do your job and this goes with the territory. Today, though, I’m proud to call attention to these selfless acts and I am proud to call these three people colleagues.  
Awarded to

Sgt. Scott Frennier

Motor Vehicle Accident Rescue – While on his way home after a shift on December 17, 2004, Sgt. Scott Frennier noticed skid marks in the snow on a curve in the road near a beaver pond. A motor vehicle had rolled over into the water. Scott, wading into the frigid water, saw a woman trapped inside pounding on the windshield as the vehicle filled with water. Scott, climbing onto the vehicle, pulled the door open and assisted the operator to safety. He put the frightened woman in his truck to keep warm, called 9-1-1 and then in sub freezing temperatures, proceeded to direct traffic while still clad in his wet clothes until emergency services arrived.   2004  
Awarded to

Officers Andrew Apgar, Matthew Collins, William Sullivan and Dispatcher Sharon Patenaude

In the early morning hours of November 8, 2003, Dispatcher Patenaude received a 9-1-1 call advising of a male student in Wills Hall who was having difficulty breathing. The caller advised that the subject had been drinking and had taken pain killers (he had actually ingested a Fentanyl transdermal patch, which is an opiate derivative). Dispatcher Patenaude immediately dispatched officers and UVM Rescue to the scene. Sharon gave the caller pre-arrival instructions and kept both officers and Rescue updated to the patient's condition while enroute. Those updates, which included that the male's mouth was clenched, that he was having seizures and that his lips were purplish, re-directed Rescue's course of planning for the call. Officers Collins, Sullivan and Apgar were all invaluable to Rescue in the course of patient management. Matt Collins helped place the update call to the emergency department for Rescue, Bill Sullivan assisted Rescue with the complicated/occluded airway, and Andy Apgar assisted the Crew Chief with an update on the patient's medical history. The combined efforts of these officers and dispatcher had a very positive impact on the patient's favorable outcome at the hospital.    
Awarded to

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131