Some students and scholars choose to have their family members join them for their stay in the US. Burlington is a wonderful town for families, and planning in advance can make the transition to living in Vermont with your family go smoothly. Below you will find resources to support this planning process and to help your family members engage in the community once they arrive.

Resources for Spouses and Partners

On Campus

CATcards for Spouses and Dependents: Spouses of UVM students and scholars are eligible to receive a CATcard (UVM identification card) which will allow access to the UVM library resources and fitness center during designated family hours.

UVM Continuing & Distance Education: Information about course enrollment for non-degree students. Dependents in F-2 or J-2 status should understand their enrollment rules prior to signing up for courses. 

UVM Fitness Center Family Hours

UVM Interfaith Center maintains a list of faith communities in the Burlington area, and also holds some events throughout the year that are open to community members.

UVM Bored: Events on campus and in the community.

Invest EAP: Household members of UVM employees can gain access to mental health services and other wellness benefits.

In the Community

AALV: Services for immigrants and New Americans

Fletcher Free Library offers many resources and events for children and adults, including English language classes.

South Burlington Public Library offers events, community resources, and an English Conversation Circle.

Green Mountain Transit: Area public transportation


Volunteering is a rewarding way to meet new people and become a part of the community. Volunteering in the community may be appealing for spouses and partners who are ineligible for employment in the US due to immigration status. Keep in mind that spouses and dependents without work authorization should only volunteer as long as there is no compensation of any kind (ex: reduced rent, free parking pass, etc) and the volunteer position is a job usually done by volunteers.

Volunteer Opportunities in the City of Burlington

University of Vermont Medical Center Volunteer Opportunities

United Way of Northwest Vermont

Getting Involved Off-Campus – UVM Office of Student and Community Relations

Parenting and Childcare


Childcare in the US for children under 5 years old is not generally subsidized, and it is not uncommon to pay $10,000-$20,000 per year for childcare, depending on type of provider. This is something that should be planned for as early as possible once you have decided to join UVM. Childcare spots for children under 2 years old are particularly challenging to find in Vermont.

Vermont Department for Children and Families maintains a searchable database of childcare providers.

Child Care Resource is a Vermont organization that helps families find childcare.

Social media can be a good resource about childcare and parenting in Burlington and the surrounding area, and there are several local Facebook groups that connect people on these topics. 

Enrolling Your Child in School

Public school in the US is free for all children aged 5-18, and you will need to register your child for school in the town in which you will live. Most school districts have an online registration form, and you will be asked to present documents such as:

  • Your child’s birth certificate
  • Health information, including immunization records
  • Proof of residency in that town (such as a lease agreement)

The US School System, Explained

Family-Friendly Activities

Burlington Parks, Recreation, and Waterfront

ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain

Bicycle Rentals in Burlington

Shelburne Museum

Shelburne Farms

Greater Burlington YMCA

Fletcher Free Library: Kids Programming and Free or Discounted Museum Passes

UVM Employee Wellness: Parenting Resources

Do you have specific questions about settling your family in Vermont? Contact us