In Planning, Design & Construction, all of the resources — human, physical, financial — are designed to come together to create useful spaces for the University community. These resources are managed in a way that enhances the quality of the department's services through teamwork, employee participation, and continuous cost effective improvements. The department's structures, processes and procedures are designed to support an environmentally responsible, safe and healthy campus or add value to the larger institution. The hallmarks of our department's business practices and human interactions are our integrity and honesty. Our Planning Services team is responsible for a diversity of major functions that all relate to land use and space use on- and off-campus. Vermont is a unique environment that treats UVM as both a "municipality" and a "developer," requiring a University adopted campus master plan that complies with local and regional master plans and extensive land use environmental regulatory processes.
Planning, Design & Construction (PDC) is responsible for the facilitation and management of land use planning and permitting, and for the development of the University's built assets from initial design to construction administration and project management through occupancy.
The purpose of Planning, Design and Construction is to enhance the University's facilities by creating special places for the University of Vermont community to live, learn, work and play, through the renovation and the creation of contemporary, well-designed and -constructed spaces, as well as the restoration of historic buildings.
We promote collaborative processes to ensure diverse perspectives are considered in all of our planning efforts to ultimately meet the needs and be in the best interests of the University.
What We Do
Project Management & Administration
- Feasibility studies.
- Labor and material cost estimates.
- Design services.
- Construction administration services.
- Assistance in obtaining necessary permits through Campus Planning Services.
- Service as the liaison between the University and outside contractors, consultants and building officials.
- Development and implementation of land use planning policies.
- Development of the Campus Plan
Land Use Regulatory Process
- Assessment and advocacy with local, regional, and state regulatory agencies as zoning ordinances are revised, and all zoning permit acquisition and compliance.
- Administration of the University's Watersheds and Stormwater Treatment Plan.
Space Management & Land Records
- Development and implementation of policies and guidelines to maximize the use of existing facilities, future uses and needs of new facilities.
- Management of the campus space inventory and associated database and AutoCAD building diagrams used within the campus Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS).
- Maintain deeds, permit records and as-built building plans for the University
- Management of the land inventory, including mapping
- Serve as University liasons and representatives regarding all land use and regulatory functions with city and state officials, community leaders, and neighbors from the surrounding community.
Staff Contact List
|Lisa Kingsbury||Associate Director for Planning||Lisa.Kingsbury@uvm.edu||802-656-1059|
|David Blatchly||Associate Director for Design & Construction||David.Blatchly@uvm.edu||802-656-7000|
|Bruce Barr||Construction Field Coordinator||Bruce.Barr@uvm.edu||802-656-2114|
|Ken Bean||University Architect||Kenneth.firstname.lastname@example.org||802-656-8753|
|Jill Bennett||Administrative/Contract Specialist||Jill.Bennett@uvm.edu||802-656-0944|
|Joanna Birbeck||Campus Space Manager||Joanna.Birbeck@uvm.edu||802-656-1449|
|Kate Coffey||Construction Project Coordinator/Architect||Katharine.Coffey@uvm.edu||802-656-9777|
|Claire Forbes||Associate Planner||Claire.Forbes@uvm.edu|
|Adam Frazier||Deferred Maintenance Project Coordinator||Adam.Frazier@uvm.edu||802-656-0784|
|Scott Goodwin||Deferred Maintenance Project Coordinator||Scott.Goodwin@uvm.edu||802-922-6336|
|Lisa McNaney||Office Manager||Lisa.McNaney@uvm.edu||802-656-8660|
|Todd Merchant||Construction Administrator||Todd.Merchant@uvm.edu||802-656-0239|
|Darina Mernicky||Architectural Designer||Darina.Mernicky@uvm.edu|
|Lani Ravin||Associate Planner||Lani.Ravin@uvm.edu||802-656-3217|
|Michael Richards||Space Planning/Mapping Specialist||Michael.A.Richards@uvm.edu||802-656-9204|
|Cristine Rowley||Interiors Specialist||Cristine.Rowley@uvm.edu||802-656-8239|