Integrating cover crops into field crop production has gained interest in recent years as we discover the multitude of benefits that cover crops can provide, such as reducing nutrient and soil loss, increasing soil organic matter, suppressing weeds, serving as extra sources of livestock forage, and even as habitat for pollinators and other beneficial insects. Our NWCS team has been working with farmers and other partners to conduct research and outreach on cover crops suited to our northern climates, primarily in silage corn acreage but also in other crops like cereal grains, hops, and vegetables.
Dig into Your Day with Cover Crops & Conservation
Dig into Your Day…with Cover Crops & Conservation (click to view flyer) - The University of Vermont Extension is offering a FREE Webinar Series!
This webinar series will discuss current research on cover crops and conservation in various cropping systems, interesting findings, and common obstacles to implementing a successful cover crop and no-till program. Each webinar will be 30 minutes and will end with a 15 minute Q&A session.YouTube videos of completed webinars will be posted when available.
Dates & Topics Listed Below:
Monday, 3/23/20 9am to 9:45am - Precision Sustainable Agriculture (YouTube video available) with Steve Mirsky, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service
Thursday, 3/26/20 9am to 9:45am - Cover Crops in the Corn/Soybean Rotation (YouTube video available) with Peter Tomlinson, Kansas State University, Department of Agronomy
Monday, 3/30/20 9am to 9:45am - Cover Crop Profitability with Rob Meyers (YouTube video available), University of Missouri Extension, Agricultural Engineering
Thursday, 4/2/20 9am to 9:45am - No-Till and Cover Crops in Organic Systems (YouTube video available) with Joel Gruver, Western Illinois University, School of Agriculture
Monday, 4/6/20 9am to 9:45am - No-Till and Cover Crops in Vegetable Systems (Organic Focus) (YouTube video available) with Natalie Lounsbury, University of New Hampshire, Earth and Environmental Sciences
Thursday, 4/9/20 9am to 9:45am - Stewarding the Birthplace of No-Till with John Young (YouTube video available), Young Family Farm, Innovative No-Till Farmer from Herndon, Kentucky
Monday, 4/13/20 9am to 9:45am - Cover Crop and Soybean Research in Vermont (YouTube video available) with Heather Darby, University of Vermont Extension, Northwest Crops and Soils Program
Thursday, 4/16/20 9am to 9:45am - Cover Crops and No-Till in Soybeans (YouTube video available) with Cara Peterson, University of Maryland, Sustainable Agricultural Systems Lab
Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) credits are available through online registration or by emailing your CCA number and/or farm name to firstname.lastname@example.org within 2 days of the webinar.
Pre-register online at: https://digintoyourday.eventbrite.com.
- 1 of 4
Factsheets, Bulletins, and Guides
- Roller Crimping Cover Crops in Vermont: Benefits and Risks (PDF)
- Guide to Interseeding Cover Crops into Corn Systems in the Northeast (PDF)
- Cover Cropping on Vegetable Farms in Northern New England (PDF)
- Why Cover Crop? (PDF)
- Under Cover: Integrating Cover Crops into Silage Corn Systems Guide (PDF)
- Tips for Interseeding Cover Crops (PDF)
- Interseeding Cover Crops - Innovative Technologies (PDF)
- Cover Cropping Costs and Benefits (PDF)
Tile Drainage Webinar Series - Drainage and Doughnuts
Tile Drainage Webinar Series - Drainage and Doughnuts
View our Tile Drainage Webinar Series - Drainage and Doughnuts (pdf). What you will learn -
- Best management practices to use on tile acreages
- Increase knowledge on how farmland with subsurface tile drainage may affect water quality
- Increase knowledge about how Required Agricultural Practices (RAPs) affect the use of subsurface tile drainage
- Learn about end-of-tile treatments
- 10/24/18, Introduction to Tile Drainage, Joshua Faulkner, UVM
- 10/26/18, Tile Drainage and Management in Wisconsin, Matt Ruark, University of Wisconsin - Madision
- 10/31/18, Tile Drainage and Management in New York and end-of-tile treatment, Eric Young, USDA ARS - Marshfield, WI
- 11/2/18, Tile Drainage and Management in Ohio, Lindsay Pease, University of Minnesota - St.Paul
- 11/8/18, Conservation and Tile Drainage Survey Results, Heather Darby, UVM, and Update on RAPs and tile drain rule amendment, Ryan Patch, VAAFM
Videos and Webinar Recordings
- Roller Crimping Cover Crops (YouTube, Mar. 10, 2019).
- Common Sense Tips to Implement a Successful No-till System (YouTube, Dec. 1, 2017).
- Interseeding: Planting Cover Crops Into a Growing Corn (YouTube, Oct. 7, 2016).
- High Clearance Cover Crop Seeder (YouTube, Nov. 5, 2015).
- VT NRCS and State Programs for Cover Cropping (Webinar recording with Sandra Primard, USDA NRCS. May 25, 2016).
- Equipment Options for Interseeding Cover Crops (Webinar recording with Jeff Sanders. May 18, 2016).
- Cover Crop Variety Selection for Interseeding (Webinar recording with Kirsten Workman. May 11, 2016).
- Cover Crop Termination Strategies: Pros and Cons (Webinar recording with Heather Darby. May 4, 2016.)
- Cover Crops and Your Corn Herbicide Program (Webinar recording with Bill Curran, Penn State University. April 27, 2016.)
- 2009 Cover Crop Seeding Method Study (YouTube video with Heather Darby)
- Improving Water Quality through No-Till and Cover Crop Practices (Across the Fence program with Jeff Sanders and Kirsten Workman. March 13, 2015.)
- The Benefits of Cover Cropping in Vermont (Across the Fence program featuring a field day at Pouliot Dairy Farm, Westford, VT. October 31, 2014.)