Returning Students: The Deadline for Housing Accommodation Requests for the 2021-22 Academic Year is February 25th, 2021
Class of 2025: The Deadline for Housing Accommodation Requests for the 2021-22 Academic Year is June 25, 2021
The University of Vermont is a residential college and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a UVM education. UVM is committed to the full participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of University life, including residential life.
Please be advised that requests for particular housing assignments based on a student’s preference, rather than need, for a particular type of living environment or location will not be honored. (e.g. A student with ADHD or a learning disability seeking a single room to serve as a quiet, undisturbed place to study represents a preference, but not a necessity.) Accordingly, single room accommodations are reserved for individuals whose documentation illustrates clear and substantial needs, and for whom a standard housing assignment with a roommate is not viable.
Here is more information regarding policies and deadlines regarding the
Students seeking a housing accommodation will need to submit the appropriate documentation to SAS. Documentation must include:
- Residential Life housing: To be completed by the student's health care provider and sent directly to SAS via email, fax, or mail.
- Documentation of the disability: Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines
Documentation and requests should be submitted to SAS by one of the following means:
NOTE: The presentation of documentation and/or the recommendation of a care provider does not automatically guarantee disability status or specific accommodations.
HOUSING ACCOMMODATION REQUEST DEADLINES
ACADEMIC YEAR 2021-22:
- For returning students, the submission deadline for 2021-22 housing accommodation requests is February 25, 2021. SAS will review requests from returning students after this date, but cannot guarantee the implementation of accommodations for eligible students in time for the start of the Fall 2021 semester.
- For incoming students, the submission deadline for 2021-22 housing accommodations is June 25, 2021. SAS will review late requests from incoming students, but cannot guarantee the implementation of accommodations for eligible students in time for the start of the Fall 2021 semester.
- Transfer students over the age of 20 are not guaranteed housing by Residential Life. Transfer Students can still request Reslife accommodations through SAS, but these accommodations can generally be implemented only in the event that transfer students are offered housing by Reslife.
These deadlines were established to provide the SAS with sufficient time to review requests, communicate with care providers, and for consideration to be given to specific housing-related needs before the complex housing assignment processes for all UVM students take place. For this reason, it is critical that requests and all supporting documentation is received by the posted submission deadlines.
Requests are reviewed collaboratively by an ADA Housing Committee, which is made up of three SAS staff members as well as representatives from several SAS campus partners from relevant programs, including Student Health Services, Counseling and Psychiatry Services, Residential Life, and UVM Dining.
If you have a need for a housing accommodation which arises for the first time after a deadline, email email@example.com to make it known that you will be submitting a post-deadline request. The Housing Accommodation Committee will strive to determine and, for those deemed eligible, meet newly arising needs for housing accommodations as soon as reasonably possible given the limited availability of housing options following the assignment process. If accommodated housing is granted, but unavailable, the student will be placed on a priority waitlist until such housing becomes available.
If you wish to seek a housing accommodation request for subsequent semesters, we urge you to take note of the guidance, notification information, and deadlines posted.