Students with disabilities may request housing accommodations by:
- Contacting Student Accessibility Services (802-656-7753), and providing documentation of a disability
- Having housing needs assessed by SAS staff.
After reviewing the student’s request and documentation of disability, SAS will make a recommendation regarding appropriate accommodations to Residential Life. Accommodations are granted based on level of necessity and space availability. Not every request for an accommodation, such as a private room, will be granted.
In order to receive a single room at a double rate, students with disabilities must submit clear disability-related documentation that supports the housing accommodation request. Accommodations are not provided based on preference or convenience. The following situations receive priority for housing accommodations:
- Students with disabilities with extensive equipment needs (i.e. manual and electric chairs, bath chairs, adapted computer work stations, lifts, visual alarms, etc.), or
- Students with disabilities with substantial PCA needs, and
- SAS determines that it would not be reasonable (because of space or privacy issues) for a non-disabled student to share the space.
All decisions regarding students with disabilities are based on a case-by-case assessment and exceptions can occur.
SAS determines student eligibility for specific housing accommodations directly related to documented disabilities which substantially limit the ability to function daily in a residence hall environment. Preferences not related to an SAS accommodation may be requested through the office of Residential Life.