Registration and Enrollment

:: When You Register

Your student status and class standing determine when registration opens to you each term. Students fall into one of two categories: degree students and non-degree students.

Degree Students

You are considered a degree student if you have been admitted into a degree program. For the purposes of registration, this category includes students pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as medical students and certificate students in the College of Education and Social Services.

Degree students are further categorized for registration purposes by the number of academic credits they have completed.

Bachelor's Degree Credits
First Year
87.0 and over

Graduate, medical, and certificate students register earliest, followed by seniors, juniors, sophomores, and first-year students in that order.

Non-degree Students

You are considered a non-degree student if you have not been admitted into a degree program. For purposes of registration this category includes GAP students, CDE students pursuing a certificate, and other members who continue their education without pursuing a degree.

Non-degree students register after degree students.

:: Full-Time or Part-Time Status

At the University of Vermont you are considered a full-time or part-time student based on the number of credits for which you are enrolled. To be considered full-time, undergraduate and non-degree students must be enrolled in at least twelve credit hours per semester; graduate students must be enrolled in at least nine credit hours per semester.

:: Registration Periods

Add/Drop Period

Once courses begin, there is a fixed period of time in which you may add new courses or drop courses in which you are already enrolled without financial or academic penalty. However, if you are a recipient of financial aid your aid might be affected if you drop below full-time. Click here for more information.

During the fall and spring semesters, the Add/Drop period spans the first ten instructional days of classes. During summer and winter sessions, the Add/Drop period varies from course to course depending on when the class begins and how long it runs. You can calculate when the Add/Drop period will end for a particular course by multiplying the total instructional days by 0.15 and rounding up to the nearest whole number. (For example: If a course runs from May 19th to June 12th on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays then the course will meet a total of 12 times. 12 x 0.15 = 1.8. The Add/Drop period for this course would end the day before the second instructional day, in this case, May 20th.)

If you wish to audit a course, take a course pass/no pass, or change back to normal grading (change grading mode), you must request that change during the Add/Drop period. To read more about alternative grading modes click here.

Withdrawal Period

During the fall and spring semesters, the Withdrawal period begins immediately after the Add/Drop period ends and lasts until two business days after the 60% point of the semester. During the summer and winter sessions, the Withdrawal period varies from course to course depending on when the class begins and how long it runs. Summer course withdrawal dates can be found here. For more information about these sessions, please contact the Department of Continuing and Distance Education.

If you wish to stop taking a course during this period, you must withdraw. When you withdraw from a course it remains on your permanent record. Any courses you withdraw from will be assigned a grade of "W" which will appear on your transcript but will not affect your GPA. You will not be refunded the full tuition amount if you withdraw from a course. The amount you will be refunded is dependent on the date you withdraw. Contact Student Financial Services with specific questions.

For more information on the online course withdrawal process please click here.

:: Enrollment Actions

Re-entry to the University

Previously enrolled undergraduate students who were working toward a degree and who wish to return to the University following a voluntary leave should complete the online Re-entry Application. Students can visit the Admissions page in order to access the application and to learn about specific re-entry procedures for the academic units.

Withdrawal from the University

If you are a degree student who wishes to withdraw from the University for personal reasons, medical concerns, family emergencies, or other reasons, you must first notify (in person or in writing) Student Services in the Dean's Office of your college/school.

Leave of Absence

You may apply for a leave of absence if you are a degree student in good standing (eligible for continued enrollment). A leave of absence differs from a withdrawal because a student is guaranteed re-admission. Please note that a leave of absence is granted for a finite period of time, and normally may not exceed four semesters. For more information, or to apply for a leave of absence, contact Student Services in the Dean's Office of your college/school.