CATS logo    





Why did I receive the message "Degree Program not available"?

CATS reports are currently available for UNDERGRADUATE students and for students in the MBA and MACC graduate degree programs.

CATS reports are not available for any other Graduate students, for Continuing Education Non-Degree students, or for students who entered UVM before the fall of 2002. If you entered UVM before the fall of 2002, talk to Student Services in your Dean's Office about possibly updating your catalogue year.

What should I do if my CATS report lists the wrong major or program?

Contact Student Services in your Dean's Office to verify your currently declared major or degree. If inaccurate information is on file, you may need to submit a change of major/minor form in order to update your CATS report.

I am thinking about switching to a different major. Can I get a CATS report for another major without changing my enrollment information?

No, you need to submit a change of major/minor form to Student Services in your Dean's Office in order to allow your CATS report to reflect a different major or degree program..

When I run my report, I get two audits. Why?

Students enrolled in two separate degree programs will receive two separate CATS reports, one for each program.

I took a course which was supposed to fulfill a requirement but my CATS report indicates that the requirement is unsatisfied. What should I do?

If you are in the School of Business Administration, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences or the Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources and there are discrepancies in your audit, you should discuss them first with your advisor. Only your advisor can approve and submit exceptions for your degree audit, which will be processed through your Dean's Office.

If you are in the College of Arts and Sciences,  you should discuss any discrepancies in your CATS report  with the CATS advisor in the A&S Dean's Office, Mark Hall.

If you are in the College of Education & Social Services, you should complete a Request Form (located online at or at 528 Waterman) in order to petition that a course be used to satisfy a requirement.  Be sure to provide a strong academic rationale for your request.

What is an exception?

An exception reflects any change -- such as a requirement waiver or a course substitution -- applied to your academic program with the approval of  your advisor. Exceptions allow the CATS audit to reflect individualized adjustments to your specific degree requirements.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

You can find out who your advisor is by checking online through myuvm on the Advising tab, by contacting your Dean's Office, or by contacting the Registrar's Office.

I took some courses at another school. Why don't they appear on my CATS report?

If transfer courses are not showing up on your CATS report, you should verify that the Office of Transfer Affairs has received your offical transcript from the original institution. The email address for Transfer Affairs is

My transfer courses appear on my CATS report, but they are not applying to the appropriate requirement. What should I do?

If you are in the School of Business Administration, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, or the Rubenstein School,  you should speak with your advisor about applying transfer course to UVM requirements. In most cases an exception will need to be made.

If you are in the College of Arts & Sciences, you should contact Mark Hall in the Dean's Office to discuss using transfer courses to satisfy degree requirements.

If you are in the College of Education & Social Services, you should complete a Request Form (located online at or at 528 Waterman) in order to petition that a transfer course be used to satisfy a requirement.

I completed a course at UVM and received a grade for it, but my CATS Report is showing zero credits for the course.  Why did I lose credit?

The CATS Report automatically removes credit when two courses with duplicated content are taken. For example, according to the University Catalogue, credit is not allowed for both BIOL 001 and BCOR 011.  The CATS Report will display zero credits for whichever of these two courses you take last.  Another common example of duplicated content occurs with MATH 019 and MATH 021.  Unless you also take MATH 022, you cannot have credit for both 019 and 021. 

If you run your CATS Report immediately after you have registered for courses, you will be able to recognize any courses with duplicate content, identified by zero credits showing next to the IP, and can change your course selections to avoid losing credit.

I had to take a course twice in order to improve my grade.  How does CATS handle that?

The CATS Report removes credit for duplicated courses (although both grades in duplicated courses are used to calculate your GPA, credit is only allowed once) and identifies the course with zero credits by displaying  ">D" after the grade on the CATS Report. "RP" will appear next to the version of the course that maintains its credit.  CATS is designed to give credit to the course with the higher grade, but while your second attempt at a course is in progess (or "IP") it will display with zero credits.

Courses that are allowed to be repeated--for instance special topics courses with different titles--are identified with ">R" after the grade, and no credit is removed.

Why is the number of total credits hours on my CATS Report different from the number on my transcript?

In rare cases, the total number of credits may sometimes be different because CATS only counts credits for courses that can be used in your degree program, while your UVM transcript lists credits for all courses taken at UVM, even those that do not apply to your degree.

Who are the contact people in each Dean's Office?

College of Arts & Sciences:

Student Services, 438 College St., Room 304, 656-3344,

College of Agriculture & Life Sciences:
          Rose Laba, 106 Morrill Hall, 656-0289,

College of Education & Social Services:
          CESS Student Services Office, 528 Waterman, 656-3468,

College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences:
          Marnie Owen, 103 Votey, 656-8857,

College of Nursing and Health Sciences:
          CNHS Student Services Office, 002 Rowell, 656-3858,

Rubenstein School of  Environment and Natural Resources:

          Marcia Caldwell, 330 Aiken, 656-3010,

Grossman School
of Business
          Student Services Office, 101 Kalkin Hall, 656-4015,