University of Vermont

College of Arts and Sciences

Department of Psychological Science

Supervised Research Experience

Why should I be involved in research?

woman entertaining infant with a puppetPsychological Science is a science. Knowledge is acquired through research. The best way to understand how knowledge is acquired is to participate in research.

Research provides you with in-depth experience and unique skills that you cannot acquire in the typical classroom-based course.

Research experience will put your classroom knowledge to work.

Most graduate programs in Psychological Science are research-based. Therefore, undergraduate research experience can both (1) give you an indication of whether or not a research-oriented graduate program is a good fit for you, and (2) provide a setting for you to develop and demonstrate your research skills for graduate admissions offices. Undergraduate research experience generally is expected for graduate admission.

Research with a professor can provide an intense working relationship that allows the professor to support your professional development and identify your strengths in work or graduate school recommendations. Research enhances your undergraduate credentials.

APLE (Academic Programs for Learning and Engagement)

APLE (Academic Programs for Learning and Engagement) is the term used by the College of Arts and Sciences for opportunities to do research with faculty members and to get hands-on experience in internships. Science students typically work in research laboratories both in Arts and Sciences and in the Medical School, others become involved in the local community through internships and service-learning projects, and still others follow their interests in settings far from the University of Vermont both in the United States and abroad. Check out this website for funding for your research as well.

How do I get Started?

  • Think about your own interests and the area(s) of Psychological Science that captured your interest.
  • Look over the research interests of our faculty on this web site. Contact faculty members for independent study, volunteer, or work-study positions in their laboratories or community settings.
  • Carefully read about supervised research experience (PSYC 197 & 198). This is your gateway to opportunities to do research with faculty members and to get hands-on experience in internships!
  • Participate as a subject in an ongoing research project to gain insight into the research process.

Research Funding and Credit

  • Students have a variety of options when it comes to research. You might receive credit through an independent study (PSYC 197,198), work in a lab as a work-study position, or get paid for your work.
  • Funding is available on a competitive basis for research and creative projects.
  • You may also consider completing a College Honors Project during your senior year in order to graduate with College Honors. Most often, this project is a written thesis. You must qualify through the Honors College to complete this thesis.

Remember that the nature of the research projects and independent study experiences vary between settings, so be sure to discuss your responsibilities with your faculty advisor.

Last modified March 31 2015 03:12 PM

Contact UVM © 2015 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131