Faculty and Department Chair Resources
Office of the Provost
Tenure-Track Faculty Recruitment Advertising Guidelines
The Office of the Provost is responsible for the review of proposed tenure-track faculty recruitment advertisements. The following guidelines have been developed to assist with this review process.
Advertising Copy - Required* Elements:
- The effective date of the position;
- Identification of the position as tenure-track;
- Position rank;
- Field(s) in which terminal degree is required;
- NO deadline for filing materials (you may indicate the date review of applications will begin);
- A statement of research expectations. SAMPLE: The successful candidate will be expected to undertake an active program of research or creative activity that leads to publication and/or presentation in peer-reviewed scholarly outlets and, where available, to seek extramural funding for that research;
- A statement of teaching and advising expectations. SAMPLE: Faculty members are expected to teach, advise, and mentor undergraduate
and graduate students when appropriate.
SAMPLE COMBINING #6 AND #7: The successful candidate will develop a vigorous sponsored research program, teach at all levels, and advise undergraduate and graduate master's and doctoral students, in addition to professional contributions and service.
- When relevant, a statement of transdisciplinary expectations. SAMPLE: to be developed in concert with the Provost's Office and the appropriate units;
- A diversity statement. SAMPLE: The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching, and/or service. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal: and,
- An AAEO statement. SAMPLE: The University of Vermont is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. The Department is committed to increasing faculty diversity and welcomes applications from women, veterans and underrepresented ethnic, racial and cultural groups and from people with disabilities.
*The Office of the Provost may grant exceptions when there is a demonstrated need to do so, as part of a comprehensive recruitment strategy. This will most often occur when a Search Firm conducts the recruitment. Requests for exceptions should be discussed with the Associate Provost for Faculty & Academic Affairs. The recruiting department should note the exceptions granted in the "Notes/History" tab in PeopleAdmin
OPTIONAL DESCRIPTION OF UVM - SAMPLE: Founded in 1791, UVM has been called one of the "public ivies" and is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the United States. The University is located in Burlington, Vermont, also rated as one of the best small cities in America. The greater Burlington area has a population of about 125,000 and enjoys a panoramic setting on the shores of Lake Champlain, between the Green Mountains of Vermont and the Adirondack Mountains of New York. Burlington and the surrounding area provide an environment rich in cultural and recreational activities for individuals and families, with multiple opportunities for interactions with local industry and communities.
National Professional Journals: Departments are advised to place at least one of the following in the event that the candidate selected requires a work visa: print advertisement in a national professional journal which states the job title, duties and requirements; or advertisement in an electronic or web-based national professional journal provided that the ad contains the same information listed above for print advertisements; is posted for at least 30 calendar days on the journal's website; and that documentation of the placement of the electronic ad includes evidence of the start and end dates of the ad placement and the text of the ad (e.g. the ad must be printed out from the website on the first day, and again on the last day, of display).
Submission & Approval: Proposed advertisement language should be submitted in the "Position Details" tab in PeopleAdmin. Approval of the requisition in PeopleAdmin will indicate approval of the proposed advertisement.
Last modified May 15 2013 05:04 PM