Faculty and Department Chair Resources
For Deans and Chairs:
Guidelines for letters to external reviewers
This is a model or template for a letter to be sent to outside reviewers. While it is not a requirement that the exact wording is used, the letter does include the basic information that all reviewers should receive. For represented faculty members, please see Article 14.5.e.ii in the UVM-UA Agreement for additional information on choosing reviewers and a definition of "arms length" reviewers.
One example of material that may accompany this letter is:
- The candidate's vitae.
- The candidate's one page research statement.
- Scholarly publications and work that is either under review or accepted for publication.
- The department's (or college) criteria for assessing scholarship for promotion and tenure. Note: a copy of approved college or school RPT Guidelines must be provided to external evaluators (ref. Article 14.4, para 5).
- The section of the CBA on the review of scholarship for promotion and tenure.
Please also note that the chair (or dean when there is not a chair) is responsible for the final choice of reviewers. The Chair statement should also indicate
- what materials were provided to evaluators
- the basis for selecting the evaluators
- a description of the evaluator qualifications and relationship to the candidate
(For represented faculty, see Article 14 for further information on the Chair statement.)
External Reviewer Letter Example New, posted June 13, 2012
Last modified August 22 2013 04:11 PM