University of Vermont

Office of the Registrar

Transfer Guide


:: Residency Appeal Procedures

Bases for Appeal

Students who have been denied in-state tuition status by the residency officer may appeal this decision on one or more of the following bases:
  1. The presence of new evidence or documentation that was not reasonably available at the time of the initial submission of the residency application.
  2. Change in status, personal circumstances, or situation.
  3. Clear abuse of discretion of the residency officer (e.g., failure to consider relevant information, or misinterpretation of documents or evidence provided in the initial residency application)

Submitting an Appeal

To appeal a residency decision, the applicant/student must submit in writing the bases of appeal for each regulation cited by the residency officer for denying the applicant in-state tuition status.This written appeal must be submitted within thirty (30) calendar days of the date of the Residency Officer’s written decision letter.

Any additional evidence or documentation that is submitted for the appeal should contain an explanation/rationale for its relevance to the appeal for in-state status. Please note that the Residency Appellate Officer will have access to all materials submitted with the original residency application.

You can submit your written appeal as follows:


Fax: 802-656-2202

Mail: Chris Lucier, 85 South Prospect Street, 306 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405

Consideration of the Appeal

Upon receipt of the written appeal, the Residency Appellate Officer or designee will review the appeal and may elect to contact and/or meet in person with the applicant to discuss the appeal. In-person meetings will happen at the sole discretion of the Residency Appellate Officer or designee.

Written Appeal Decision

Written decision letters will be sent to the applicant’s address of record with the University.



Last modified August 18 2009 03:18 PM

Contact UVM © 2015 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131