blue barIn order to complete your UVM student records and to provide you and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with your 1098-T Tuition Statement (if applicable), SFS is required to collect your Social Security Number (SSN) or your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).

Please print, complete, and return to SFS, IRS Form W-9S.

Note: You will have a hold on your student account preventing access to grades and transcripts until the completed form is received by SFS.


  1. In Part I, clearly print your full name and address, and sign where indicated
  2. Enter your SSN in the "Taxpayer Identification Number" field. If you do not have an SSN, enter your Taxpayer ID number.
  3. In Part III, enter your UVM Student ID (your 95#) in the "Tuition Account Number" field.

Note: If you do not have a SSN or a Taxpayer ID number, send us an email from your UVM email.


Why are you asking me for this information?

UVM is required by the "Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997" to report information about your qualified tuition and related expenses to the IRS and to provide you with the IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement, to help you or your parent who claims you as a dependent determine eligibility for the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits.

We are required to obtain your Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN for most students) in order to comply with this requirement.

Where can I learn more?

You can learn more about tax benefits for education by consulting IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Education".

Document Submissions Instructions

Submit your completed W-9S form by one of the following methods. These are listed in order of preference.

  1. Send securely to using the UVM File Transfer Service
  2. Drop the form off at our office, either by using our secure drop box or with our front desk staff
  3. Mail form to:
    UVM Student Financial Services
    223 Waterman Building
    85 South Prospect Street
    Burlington, VT 05405