For over fifty years, IMFLabs (formerly the Instrumentation and Model Facility) has designed and fabricated custom instruments, models, and prototypes for researchers, scientists and engineers, inventors, educators, entrepreneurs and private individuals with a great idea.
We work with, among others:
- Academic research labs
- Community maker spaces
- Hospitals and health care facilities
- Local manufacturing companies
- Start-up companies
- Technical and scientific companies
Our Facilities and Engineers
IMFLabs' facilities include a 3,500-square-foot fully equiped machine shop and design space. Depending on your requirements, we can fabricate a single custom part or instrument, or conduct a small-volume production run.
IMFLabs' engineers and technicians employ skills in mechanical, electrical, optical, and programming disciplines to solve application problems for customers as well as fabrication in our state-of-the-art facilities.
Examples of Our Work
Examples of the types of problems IMFLabs has solved for customers include:
- antibiotic bead molds used in the treatment of musculoskeletal infections
- high-energy molecular measurement system for Argonne National Laboratory
- high-temperature, high-pressure instrument developed for meteorite studies
- optomechanical "laser trap" system first used to measure the contraction force between two muscle molecules
- SutureDart™, an efficient and accurate one-step suture-passing device that minimizes bone tunnel diameter
Contact us to discuss your unique design, fabrication, or rapid-prototyping requirements.