It is the responsibility of the H-1B employee to be familiar with the immigration requirements relating to H-1B status. Learn more about maintaining your H-1B status by reading the information below.

Reporting Changes of Address

You are required by law to notify the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) of any change of address within 10 days. This may be done online at the USCIS website. Please also inform the OIE by logging in to iStart with your UVM NetID and password.

Employment Rules and Updates

Your H-1B status is employer-specific. This means that in order to maintain H-1B status, you must be actively employed by UVM according to the terms and conditions of the approved H-1B petition. 

Changes in Employment

UVM is required to inform USCIS if your employment changes. It is both your and your department’s responsibility to notify OIE prior to a change in any of the terms of your employment. Changes include but are not limited to:

  • Department
  • Job Title
  • Job Duties
  • Location of Work
  • Number of Hours Worked
  • Salary

Additional Employment and Compensation

H-1B employees may work for more than one employer, but each employer must file a separate H-1B petition. H-1B employees may not receive compensation, including honoraria, for any activities outside of those described in the H-1B petition, including activities occurring at UVM.

Employment Inspections and USCIS Site Visits

Please be aware that USCIS may visit UVM or contact you by telephone to verify information relating to the H-1B employment. See USCIS Site Visits for more information.

Extending or Ending Your Employment

Employees and departments should intitiate the H-1B extension process with OIE at least six months before the current H-1B end date. Employees and departments must also notify the OIE in writing of the early completion of employment or the resignation of the H-1B employee. H-1B employees whose employment is terminated early may in some cases benefit from a grace period to depart the US or seek new employment. We encourage you to speak with an immigration attorney to understand the H-1B grace period.

Maintaining Valid Immigration Documents

Form I-94

It is critical that you review your Form I-94 every time you return to the US after travel abroad. Your I-94 is the only document that confirms your immigration status and controls your authorized period of stay. Your I-94 should indicate “H-1B” and include an expiration date that is consistent with the expiration date on your I-797 H-1B approval notice. Officers at the port of entry may mistakenly use the expiry date of your visa stamp or passport as the end date on the Form I-94 rather than the expiry date on the H-1B petition.  This often occurs if your passport expires in less than six months. Therefore, it is essential that each time after international travel you confirm that your I-94 information is correct and discuss any discrepancies with the OIE.

Passport Validity

You are required to maintain a valid passport throughout your stay in the United States. Upon every entry into the US, your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your H-1B approval period.

Visa Applications and International Travel

You must have a valid H-1B visa stamp in your passport to return to the US from temporary travel abroad. If you plan to travel and/or apply for an H-1B visa stamp, please notify us a few weeks before you depart the US so that we may advise you on supporting documents. For additional information, please see our visa application and travel information for scholars and employees.