Academic Training is a work authorization for J-1 students to take employment directly related to their field of study outside of the UVM campus. Students cannot begin work until Academic Training is authorized by the J-1 Program Sponsor.  

Rules of Academic Training

The following rules apply to Academic Training (AT):

  • All work must be directly related to the student's field of study
  • Work can be paid or unpaid
  • Work during academic semesters is limited to 20 hours weekly (cumulative employment including on-campus work)
  • Work during academic breaks and after completion of the program can be full-time

Students are limited to a maximum of 18 months of Academic Training or the length of the J-1 program, whichever is shorter. Students completing doctoral degrees may be eligible for an additional 18 months of post-doctoral training beyond the original 18 months. 

Employment may begin as soon as a student has begun studies at UVM. Students seeking employment after completion of the J-1 program must have employment begin no later than 30 days after the program end date.

How to Apply for Academic Training

Students sponsored by UVM can apply for AT through the iStart system by providing job and academic information. To apply for academic training, the following process should be followed:

  1. Find Job – The UVM Career Center can help!
  2. Get a job offer letter from your employer (details for letter described in iStart).
  3. Obtain support letter from academic advisor (details for letter described in iStart)
  4. Log into iStart and file the request under J-1 Student Services
  5. Once approved, the OIE will issue a new DS-2019 and AT authorization letter

Applications for Academic Training must be filed at least 5 business days before the intended Academic Training start date, and no later than 5 business days before the J-1 program end date in cases of post-completion Academic Training.

Academic Training for J-1 Students Sponsored by Another Organization

Students sponsored by another organization (Fulbright, Laspau, AmidEast, ISEP, BSMP, etc.) must seek academic training authorization directly from the sponsoring organization. The OIE can help with the application process. Academic Training authorization letters and DS-2019s should be provided to the OIE once approved.