The University of Vermont's Immunization Requirement has been developed in cooperation with the Vermont State Department of Health. UVM requires students to provide evidence of a number of vaccines, including COVID-19. 

Note: this information is not applicable to Larner College of Medicine Students. 

Take Action 

Fall semester: due June 15th

Spring semester: due December 1st (spring start & new transfer students only)

These are the steps you need to take to comply with requirements about immunizations and your health history. Information about these steps and the forms themselves are available on the MyWellbeing health portal.

Undergraduate students must complete all the steps listed. Most graduate programs only require proof of COVID vaccination. If you are a graduate student and your program does not require additional immunizations please only complete Step 1.

Step 1: Submit your COVID-19 vaccine and booster information via MyWellbeing

  • Log in using your NetID and select "Enter My COVID-19 Vaccination Information" on the main screen.
  • Click “Upload” to add a picture/image/pdf of your COVID-19 vaccination documentation (required).
  • Enter dates for each dose and choose the vaccine name from the drop-down list, then click “Done".
    • If you haven’t received your final dose, enter your first dose and return to MyWellbeing to update the form when it’s completed. 

Step 2: Have your provider complete and sign the UVM Immunization Form

Step 3: Enter your other immunizations online via MyWellbeing

  • Log in using your NetID & Password and select "Medical Clearances".
  • Enter the required information for each immunization.
  • Stay logged in to MyWellbeing and continue to Step 4.

Step 4: Upload your signed UVM Immunization Form (required by VT law)

  • Under Medical Clearances, choose Immunization Record and upload your Immunization Form and/or supporting immunization records. Be sure to  press the SAVE button after uploading.


Frequently Asked Questions

What immunizations are incoming undergraduate students required to provide and is the COVID vaccine required?

All new and incoming first year and transfer students are required by the Vermont State Health Department to provide evidence of the following:

  • 1 Tdap/Td
  • 2 MMR vaccines OR...
    • 2 Measles
    • 2 Mumps
    • 2 Rubella
  • 3 Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • 1 Meningococcal conjugate (MCV4) vaccine (only for first year/transfer students living in residence halls)
  • EITHER 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccines OR the date (year) the student had the disease
  • Fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This means you have: 
  1. Had a booster shot; or
  2. Completed a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series within the last 5 months; or
  3. Completed a WHO approved vaccine series within the last 5 months; or
  4. Completed a Johnson & Johnson vaccine within the last 2 months; or
  5. Have an approved medical or religious exemption.

What immunizations are graduate students and Professional and Continuing Education students required to provide and is the COVID vaccine required?

All students are required to provide proof of COVID vaccine and/or COVID boosters. Most graduate and Professional and Continuing Education programs do not have additional immunization requirements but please check with your program for specific requirements. 

What should I do if I have additional questions about the COVID vaccine requirement or need a vaccine exemption?

Questions about the vaccine requirement? See these FAQs.

Students who require an exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination for either medical or religious reasons must complete this form (pdf). Any student registered in a fully remote schedule and living outside of Chittenden County in the State of Vermont or outside of Vermont may request an exemption and must complete this form (pdf) by the deadline dates above.

When are Health Forms due?

If you are entering UVM during the fall semester, Immunization forms (printed and online) and the online Health History Form are due no later than June 15.

If you are starting at UVM during the spring term, these deadlines are December 1.

Where do I get the printed UVM Immunization form?

Why do I need to provide immunization information in multiple ways?

The online immunization and health history forms you upload are imported to your electronic health record at UVM. That information is required by the Vermont Health Department as verification of the vaccines required by Vermont law.

In addition, you must manually enter your immunization information and health history through the MyWellbeing health portal.

We recommend that you keep a copy of your immunization record to help complete the online form, and follow the instructions to complete the online health history form.

What happens if I do not provide the immunization information?

UVM is required to observe the Vermont State Health Law requiring the immunizations. Students who do not complete requirement on time will have a hold placed on their registration, and cannot re-enroll for classes for the second semester until/unless they provide the information required.

What if I only have my immunization information in an Immunization Record Card or baby book from my pediatrician?

The information on an authorized medical document such as an immunization card, pediatric record, or document from a previously-attended school is acceptable; however, you should attach it to the UVM printed document and complete the UVM form with the dates and your name/ID.

What if I've had the chicken pox disease (varicella) and have NOT gotten the immunizations?

If you have had chickenpox, you do not need the vaccine. However, a date on a signed UVM or other immunization form or a signed Varicella Disease Form (PDF) noting that you have had the disease must be submitted along with your other immunizations.

Do I need to present my records in English?

Yes. We ask that you provide a translation of any records which are not in English. You may wish to contact your local ministry of health to see if they can provide you with an international vaccination certificate in English.

What if I do not have records available, or they cannot be located?

You may either be re-immunized, or you may choose to have a blood test (titer) to verify immunity against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis, or Varicella.

Can a I get the required vaccines at UVM?

You are required to submit the immunization records before arriving at UVM—the forms must be submitted for review no later than August 15 for new Fall students, and February 15 for new Spring students. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you get any needed vaccines before arriving at UVM. If, however, you cannot complete a required immunization series, you can arrange to get an immunization at the UVM Student Health Clinic.

Note: Any immunizations will be billed to the student's UVM account. UVM Student Health does not bill private insurances.

What if I have never been immunized due to medical reasons, or due to personal religious beliefs?

Students who have not previously been immunized due to the above reasons may request an exemption from the Vermont State Immunization Requirements. The VT State College Immunization Exemption Form (PDF) must be completed and signed by your health care provider and submitted by fax: 802-656-9350 or email:

NOTE: the State of Vermont does not allow vaccine exemptions for philosophic reasons. There is no "grandfathering in" of philosophic exemptions.


Immunization Compliance
425 Pearl St.
Burlington, VT 05401