The University of Vermont's Immunization Requirement has been developed in cooperation with the Vermont State Department of Health. UVM requires students to provide evidence of a number of vaccines.

Note: this information is not applicable to Larner College of Medicine Students. 

Take Action 



These are the steps you need to take to comply with requirements about immunizations and your health history. Information about these steps and the forms themselves are available on the MyWellbeing health portal.

Undergraduate students must complete all the steps listed.

Most graduate and Professional and Continuing Education programs do not have immunization requirements but please check with your program for specifics and follow the Steps below if required.

Step 1: Obtain your Official Immunization Record from your Healthcare provider using their form OR the signed UVM Form

Step 2: Upload the completed form and Enter the vaccination dates via MyWellbeing

  • Log in using your UVM NetID to
  • Click “Medical Clearances” on the left side of the main screen.
  • Click “Upload” to add a picture/image/pdf of your vaccination documentation.
  • Enter dates for each dose and choose the vaccine name from the drop-down list.
  • Be sure to complete the process by clicking “Done.”

Frequently Asked Questions

What immunizations are incoming undergraduate students required to provide and is the COVID vaccine required?

COVID: As of May 22, 2023, the University of Vermont no longer requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19. All UVM students, employees, and visitors should follow CDC guidance and stay up to date on their vaccinations. This also means staying informed about any variants of concern or new vaccines developed to prevent severe infection from those variants.

Immunizations: All new and incoming first year and transfer students are required by the Vermont State Health Department to provide evidence of the following:

  • 1 Tdap/Td
  • 2 MMR vaccines OR...
    • 2 Measles
    • 2 Mumps
    • 2 Rubella
  • 3 Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • 1 Meningococcal conjugate (MCV4) vaccine (only for first year/transfer students living in residence halls)
  • EITHER 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccines OR the date (year) the student had the disease

Can you explain the importance of the Meningococcal vaccine?

Preteens and teens are at increased risk for meningococcal disease, an uncommon but serious illness.

There are 2 types of meningococcal vaccines used in the United States:

  • Meningococcal conjugate or MenACWY vaccines - Required by UVM for first year/transfer students living in residence halls 21 years or younger. Requirements per State of Vermont guidelines.
  • Serogroup B meningococcal or MenB vaccines – Recommended

Meningococcal disease can be devastating and often—and unexpectedly—strikes otherwise healthy people. Although meningococcal disease is uncommon, teens and young adults 16 through 23 years old are at increased risk. Meningococcal bacteria can cause severe, even deadly, infections like

  • Meningitis (an infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord)
  • Bacteremia or septicemia (bloodstream infections)

About 1 in 5 people who survive their meningococcal infection have permanent disabilities.

Serogroup B meningococcal disease is relatively rare. Outbreaks have occurred at several U.S. colleges during the past decade. Doctors and parents should discuss the risk of the disease and weigh the risks and benefits of vaccination.

The above information is sourced from these CDC web pages:

What immunizations are graduate students and Professional and Continuing Education students required to provide?

Most graduate and Professional and Continuing Education programs do not have immunization requirements but please check with your program for specific requirements. 

When are Health Forms due?

If you are entering UVM during the fall semester, Immunization forms (printed and online) and the online Health History Form are due no later than June 15.

If you are starting at UVM during the spring term, these deadlines are December 1.

Where do I get the printed UVM Immunization form?

Why do I need to provide immunization information in multiple ways?

The online immunization and health history forms you upload are imported to your electronic health record at UVM. That information is required by the Vermont Health Department as verification of the vaccines required by Vermont law.

As part of that verification process you must manually enter the vaccination dates and update your health history via the MyWellbeing health portal.

We recommend that you keep a copy of your immunization record to help complete the online form, and follow the instructions to complete the online health history form.

What happens if I do not provide the immunization information?

UVM is required to observe the Vermont State Health Law requiring the immunizations. Students who do not complete requirement on time will have a hold placed on their registration, and cannot re-enroll for classes for the second semester until/unless they provide the information required.

What if I only have my immunization information in an Immunization Record Card or baby book from my pediatrician?

The information on an authorized medical document such as an immunization card, pediatric record, or document from a previously-attended school is acceptable.

What if I've had the chicken pox disease (varicella) and have NOT gotten the immunizations?

If you have had chickenpox, you do not need the vaccine. However, a date on a signed UVM or other immunization form or a signed Varicella Disease Form (PDF) noting that you have had the disease must be submitted along with your other immunizations.

Do I need to present my records in English?

Yes. We ask that you provide a translation of any records which are not in English. You may wish to contact your local ministry of health to see if they can provide you with an international vaccination certificate in English.

What if I do not have records available, or they cannot be located?

You may either be re-immunized, or you may choose to have a blood test (titer) to verify immunity against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis, or Varicella. These days, electronic databases are being kept by many states in the US. You can request your immunization record from your state, i.e. Vermont Immunization Registry. (PDF)

Can a I get the required vaccines at UVM?

You are required to submit the immunization records before arriving at UVM—the forms must be submitted for review no later than August 15 for new Fall students, and February 15 for new Spring students. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you get any needed vaccines before arriving at UVM. If, however, you cannot complete a required immunization series, you can arrange to get an immunization at the UVM Student Health Clinic.

Note: Any immunizations will be billed to the student's UVM account. UVM Student Health does not bill private insurances.

What if I have never been immunized due to medical reasons, or due to personal religious beliefs?

Students who have not previously been immunized due to the above reasons may request an exemption from the Vermont State Immunization Requirements. The VT State College Immunization Exemption Form (PDF) must be completed.  Medical exemptions must be signed and dated by your health care provider. Religious exemptions must be completed and signed by the student, or the parent/guardian if the student is under 18 years old. The completed form should be uploaded via your MyWellbeing portal as per the Steps listed above.

NOTE: the State of Vermont does not allow vaccine exemptions for philosophic reasons. There is no "grandfathering in" of philosophic exemptions.


Immunization Compliance
425 Pearl St.
Burlington, VT 05401

Updated 5/5/23