Vermont Emergency Resources
Combing through the alphabet soup of government agencies and programs can be difficult. Here we've put togther the "Who's Who" in Vermont disaster planning:
State Agencies and Departments
The Department of Public Safety assists with local and statewide disasters or emergencies, promotes crime detection and prevention, and participates in searches for lost and missing persons. The Department is split into four divisions:
The Department of Health provides essential public health and disease prevention services across Vermont through 12 district offices, working in partnership with local health care providers, voluntary agencies, schools, businesses and community organizations.
Department of Health Programs:
OnCall for Vermont - is the hub for health-focused volunteering, training and response in Vermont. This portal brings together the Vermont Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) and Vermont Emergency Medical Services (EMS) in order to provide Vermonters with a simple and easy path to becoming a health response volunteer.
Vermont 5-1-1 - a travel information service providing current Vermont road and weather conditions and in times of adverse weather, statewide driving conditions.
Other Agencies and Services in Vermont
- DisasterAssistance.gov - provides information on obtaining help from the U.S. Government before, during and after a disaster.
- disasters.data.gov - features disaster-related datasets, tools, and updates on how to get involved
- Extension Disaster Education Network (EDEN) - links Extension educators from across the U.S., and offers resources from multi-state research and education programs for addressing and reducing disaster impact.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - supports citizens and first responders to build and improve capability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies.
- Ready America - advice and education on preparing for and responding to emergencies including natural and man-made disasters. This public service campaign aims to increase the level of basic preparedness across the nation.
- ReadyAG© - a set of disaster planning and operation continuity worksheets for production agriculture, developed as a multi-state collaborative project of Extension professionals.
Last modified July 27 2015 08:32 AM