Statewide Summer Internship Project
Create high-quality learning opportunities where UVM students
- build reciprocal relationships in rural Vermont communities;
- apply their skills to advance solutions to Vermont challenges;
- positively impact Vermont economies.
Statewide Summer Internship Project Goals
- Develop and support robust, engaging internship positions with rural Vermont employers
- Subsidize competitive, equitable intern wages
- Facilitate a cohort of community-based interns including weekly professional development workshops
- Offer internship program development and management resources to employer hosts
The UVM Office of Engagement seeks partnerships with local Regional Development Corporations and other community organizations to help manifest these goals in every sector of Vermont.
2023 Central Vermont Summer Internship Project Pilot
This pilot project resulted from a partnership between the UVM Office of Engagement (OoE) and the Central Vermont Economic Development Corporation (CVEDC).
This pilot program ran for ten weeks (May 30-Aug 4, 2023) and engaged a cohort of 11 interns at a total of nine sites in Central Vermont. CVEDC Executive Director, Melissa Bounty used her network to identify and engage interested Central Vermont employers. Kristen Andrews, OoE Internship Coordinator, developed and managed the pilot, including leading weekly professional development workshops for the cohort of interns.
Overall, the Central Vermont Summer Internship Project Pilot was a success. Washington County businesses that had never hosted an intern before received financial and program support to do so. All expressed interest in continued partnership with UVM and in hiring more interns in the future.
“UVM students worked in engaging, well paid positions in Vermont, outside of Chittenden County, made strong community connections, and contributed their skills and expertise to the rural economic landscape. The interns enjoyed a dynamic community of fellow interns and learned and reflected upon new learning and insights.”
- Kristen Andrews, Statewide Summer Internship Project Program Director
Want to learn more?
Contact Statewide Summer Internship Project Program Director Kristen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Employer Information (PDF)