On-Line & Distance Education Programs:

The University of Vermont (UVM) is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). In addition, some of our programs are separately accredited through various accrediting bodies. As an institution, UVM is also authorized to offer online and distance education programs through its participation in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). SARA is an agreement with member states that allows UVM to provide distance education to residents of any other SARA member state without seeking authorization from each SARA member state. All states, other than California, participate in SARA which means that through the reciprocity agreement, UVM has received approval or exemptions from all members. If you are a U.S. citizen, do not live in Vermont and are thinking about enrolling in a UVM online program, you are responsible for checking program authorization in your state of residence. We encourage you to review the regulations regarding authorization of your state of residence.

Experiential Learning:

Courses and programs incorporating an ‘experiential learning’ experience are considered distance education. Under SARA, an ‘experiential learning’ experience means the student reports directly to a supervisor, mentor, faculty member or other qualified professional, located in the host state, who has a direct or indirect reporting responsibility to the institution where the student is enrolled, whether or not credit is granted. Examples of ‘experiential learning’ experiences include internships, clinicals, student teaching, or the like.

Professional Licensure:

Some professions that lead to a professional license or certification are regulated at the state level which means that there may be different requirements in order to obtain a license or certification in your state. The majority of these professions are in counseling, nursing, psychology, social work and teacher education; however, UVM does have other programs that may lead to state licensure or certification such as accounting and engineering.

If you become a UVM student or if you are a current student enrolled in a program that leads to professional licensure or certification, you are responsible for checking the requirements in your state of residence. Depending on the program, UVM has either provided professional licensure information on a professional licensure website for the college (for example, The College of Nursing and Health Sciences, The College of Education and Social Services,  The College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences) or on individual program websites. Students should be aware that rules and regulations vary by state and may be updated from time to time. Students should verify licensure requirements for their respective states and, if a student moves to a new state, they are responsible for verifying that UVM’s program is approved in their new state.

Prospective or current students may also contact the school or college with questions regarding professional licensure.