University of Vermont

UVM Student Veteran Services

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
There are a lot of misconceptions and misinformation about "The VA".  It  is helpful to understand that the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is made of up three distinct administrations:
Each of these administrations have discrete goals that influence how they approach and work with veterans.  As a student veteran it is important you know that education benefits are a VBA service, like compensation and pension, or a VA Home Loan Guarantee.  If you are eligible to apply for VHA (VA Form 10-10EZ), you may gain access to health care at the VA Hospital in White River Junction, VT or at the local Community Based Outreach Clinic (CBOC) in Burlington.  If you believe you may be eligible for benefits, it is very worthwhile to reach out to a Veteran Service Officer or organization like the Veterans of Foreign Wars, or American Legion, to discuss your options.  

The State of Vermont has a Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs (VOVA) which is different from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. VOVA is located in Montpelier, VT and can help you get a copy of your DD-214, apply for compensation or pension, and provide assistance finding work after graduation.  

The nearest VHA Clinic is:
VA Burlington Lakeside Clinic
128 Lakeside Ave. Suite 260
Burlington, VT 05401
Office: 802-657-7000
Fax: 802-657-7007

Last modified November 10 2013 01:13 PM