University of Vermont

UVM Student Veteran Services

Choice Act

In-State Rate

in-state-rateFederal law requires that individuals using certain VA education benefits or who are ordered to a duty station in Vermont be charged tuition at the in-state rate if they meet the eligibility requirements outlined below, even if they are classified by the school as out-of-state residents for tuition purposes. The law does not change your residency status, only your tuition rate while eligible or using benefits. To be eligible for the in-state rate you must meet the requirements of either law, outlined below. 

Details can be found in the University Operating Procedure for members of the Armed Forces and Veterans.

S417 GI Bill Resident Rate Requirements - Apply Electronically:         

  • All eligible students must live in Vermont while attending UVM 
    • Update your address at myUVM > Registrar > Personal Info > Address
  • Submit a Certificate of Eligibility  for Chapter 30 MGIB, or Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Veterans| Provide a form DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
    • You must have been discharged within the past three years
      • E.g. Discharged anytime in 2014 and enroll at UVM anytime in 2017
    • Your active duty period immediately prior to discharge must be greater than 90 days
  •  Dependents| Using transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill provide either:
    • Current orders for your sponsor, usually a spouse or parent, if they are on active duty OR
    • Form DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty if your sponsor was separated or retired 
      • Sponsor's discharge must have been within the past 3 years, AND
      • Their active duty time immeidately prior to discharge must be have been greater than 90 days

Higher Education Opportunity Act -  Submit Paper/PDF Application:

Active Duty| Members of the Armed Forces on active duty for a period of more than 30 days, spouses or dependents of such members whose domicile or permanent duty station is in Vermont please apply and provide:

o    Current orders
o    Most recent taxes (dependents only)

National Guard & Reserves| Members of the National Guard or Reserves who are on active duty under Title 10 orders for a period of more than 30 days, excluding a basic training assignment, or spouses or dependents of such members who are domiciled in Vermont please apply and provide:

o    Driver’s license and current lease or deed
o    Forms DD-214, DD-114DD-2058, and DD-220 (if applicable)
o    Title 10 orders calling you to active duty in Vermont
o    Most recent Leave and Earnings Statement 
o    Most recent taxes (dependents only)

See a full list of Supporting Documentation that is required with your HEOA application

- Contact Us -

When sending documents to UVM please redact all but the last four digits of the SSN if sent via email.
US Mail is the preferred carrier for sensitive documents (e.g. DD-214).     

Last modified June 12 2017 12:42 PM