University of Vermont

Office of the General Counsel

What should I do if I'm sued in connection with my work for the University?

If an employee is named as a defendant in a lawsuit, and the lawsuit arose out of the employee’s scope of employment, the employee must notify the Office of the General Counsel immediately upon receipt of the lawsuit and submit a written request for defense and indemnification to the University Department of Risk Management and Safety at 284 East Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405 or within five (5) business days.  If it is determined that the employee was working within his/her scope of employment, legal representation and indemnification will be provided in accordance with the University’s Indemnification for Officers and Employees Policy.

All materials provided on this website, including the contents of linked pages, are provided for general informational purposes only. While we seek to provide links to current and authoritative information, neither UVM nor this office guarantees the accuracy of information accessible online; therefore, this information must not be relied upon as substitute for legal advice from a qualified attorney. Please contact a UVM Office of the General Counsel attorney to obtain current legal advice specifically responsive to your questions.

Last modified November 28 2016 03:15 PM