- Strategies for the Globally Diverse Classroom
- Using Camtasia for Screencasting (Mac)
- Book Group: “Contemplative Practices in Higher Education: Powerful Methods to Transform Teaching and Learning”
- Teaching in Higher Education
View Events Calendar
The "Announcements" tool on the home page of your Blackboard course is a handy way to communicate with your class. Students can see all the course announcements when they log in (the latest appears at the top) and you can also choose to send a copy of the announcement text in an email to their UVM accounts.
How to post Announcements
- From the announcement page, click the "create announcement" button (Edit mode must be "on" for this to be viewable).
- Enter a subject and type your message below. (As in all Blackboard text boxes, you can attach a document, image, video, or external link to the announcement using the editor.)
- If you want the announcement to appear immediately, choose "Not Date Restricted."
- If you want to control when the announcement appears choose "Date Restricted" and then you must choose both Display After and Display Until dates.
- By default, students receive an email saying there is a new announcement in their course, but if you want the actual text of the announcement to appear in the email, check "Send a copy of this announcement immediately." (This feature will not work if you have restricted the announcement to a later date.)
- To create a course link in the announcement (for example, a link to a reading, blog, or quiz) use the course link option to browse to that area of the course.
- Click Submit.
Something to consider
Announcements are useful only if they are noticed and read. For this reason, make sure that your course image banner, if you have uploaded one, isn't so large that it pushes the announcements area down out of sight.