Internships For the Common Good Fund(Formerly the Anna Whitcomb Scholarship)
The Internships For the Common Good Fund was established by Anna Whitcomb, a UVM alum. Anna has dedicated her life to serving others, starting with her service as a volunteer with the Peace Corps in the Philippines and continuing as a career counselor and coach assisting college graduates, returned Peace Corps volunteers and participants in community and mission-based work. She established the Internships for the Common Good Fund to benefit University of Vermont students who are interested in career-related internships and need financial assistance to accept them.
The Internships For the Common Good Fund aims to support internships that promote the common good, provide direct service, and are at nonprofit/mission-based organizations (a mission-driven organization is one that focuses on serving a societal need). Applicants must be in good standing and current students at the University of Vermont. Four to six awards of up to $2500 each will be awarded at the beginning of the summer.
It is important to note that the purpose of this scholarship is to assist students with attaining experience relating to career and professional development. Because of this, scholarship decisions are not made on the basis of previous experience or GPA. Rather, awards are based on:
- The benefits a student will gain from the internship
- How the internship aligns with a student’s career/professional goals
- Financial need
- The learning opportunities and supervision available at the internship
- Supporting a range of awardees who reflect the diverse skills, interests, and identities of the UVM student body
Scholarship Recipient Obligations
The following items will be required from scholarship recipients:
- A thank you note to the benefactor
- A two page, double-spaced summary answering the following questions:
- How did this internship help you grow personally and professionally?
- How did this internship opportunity affect your career goals? Did it help you explore options, gain skills, or refine a plan as it relates to your career?
Please visit go.uvm.edu/internfund to read application requirements and directions
If you have questions about the application process, please come to Drop In Hours at the Career + Experience Hub, or contact Amanda Chase.
Last modified January 06 2017 11:18 AM