For grant writing, contact OVPR's Grant Proposal Manager at Jeralyn.Haraldsen@uvm.edu.
For questions about doing research with human subjects, vertebrate animals, biohazardous materials, or recombinant DNA, contact the Research Protections Office (RPO) at 656-5040.
For other research compliance questions, including those related to financial conflicts of interest, contact the Office of the Associate Vice President for Research Administration at 656-1329.
For questions about intellectual property (IP), contact the Office of Technology Commercialization at 656-8780.
For all other questions, contact Sponsored Project Administration (SPA) at 656-3360.
Extramural Funding Roadmap
Are you a new UVM faculty member or new to the UVM extramural funding process? This interactive tool will help you understand how sponsored projects are administered at UVM.
Simply click on the "tree" below to find out more about each step in the extramural funding process. All links off the tree will open in a new tab/window.
All steps are the responsibility of the Principal Investigator (PI), unless otherwise noted.
When you click on one of solid green main steps, you will see substeps that have borders of different types:
Required: All PIs are required to complete this step, regardless of proposal type
May Be Required: PIs are required to complete this step in certain cases, depending on proposal type (your SPA Research Administrator will guide you in this)
Recommended Best Practice: Not required, but we suggest you complete the step, if appropriate
- Funding Roadmap
- Getting Started
- Researcher Training
- Do you have existing IP or an active MTA? Contact Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC)
IP = Intellectual Property / MTA = Material Transfer Agreement
- Consider networking with others in your field
- Consider attending/hosting a Faculty Activity Network (FAN) tour and luncheon.
- Identify Extramural Funding Opportunity
- Use Search Tools
- Confirm Eligibility
- Contact / inform SPA Research Administrator, Dept. Admin, and Dept. Chair
- If required: Complete registrations (e.g., eRA Commons, NSF Fastlane)
- If required: Identify and plan for compliance requirements
- Consider planning a timeline with your research team and SPA Research Administrator
- Not sure if your research is a good fit for a specific opportunity? Consider contacting the Program Official (noted in the FOA) to discuss programmatic relevance of your research
- Consider requesting support from Grant Proposal Manager check services and prioritization
- Write Proposal
- Start new proposal in InfoEd
- Identify required documents / components (follow funding agency instructions)
- Multiple principal investigators? Request supporting documents (bios, resources, letters)
- Prepare budget, including subcontract(s) with Dept. Business Manager and SPA Research Administrator
- Use best writing practices
- Develop a writing timeline
- Write for your reviewers by understanding the funding agency review process; see also Demystifying the Review Process (ppt)
- Solicit feedback from colleagues
- Explore Grant Writing "Brown Bag" Seminar information (UVM netid required)
- Request support from Grant Proposal Manager check services and prioritization
- 10 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadline:
- Submit FINAL BUDGET to SPA
- Upload proposal documents to InfoEd
- Multiple principal investigators? Submit Multi-PI Leadership Plan
- Route proposal for internal approvals
- Prepare for Internal Submission Deadline 5 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadline
- If required: Submit Financial Conflict Of Interest (FCOI) disclosure
- 5 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadline:
- Upload all FINAL documents to InfoEd
(NOTE: Documents are uploaded to sponsor in next section)
- Submit Proposal
- Peer Review
- Award Negotiation
- NOTE: When SPA receives notice of award granted, SPA will notify PI of receipt and then begin award negotiation with sponsor.
- Communicate needs to SPA during award negotiation
- NOTE: If award differs from proposal (e.g., changes to scope of work, budget, effort, reporting), SPA will contact PI.
- Request advance account set-up
- Award Acceptance
- Carefully review all award documents before signing Notice of Grant Award
- NOTE: After award acceptance, SPA sends award set-up notification to all stakeholders.
- (PI and Dept. Admin:) Plan for required administrative and compliance activities
- (PI and SPA:) Negotiate / designate subawards
- Award Administration
- Getting Started
We welcome your feedback on this tool. Please email Keri Toksu at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any comments on the tool's functionality and/or usefulness. Also, please let us know if you encounter any broken links. Thank you!
Last modified November 20 2017 09:30 AM