University of Vermont

Human Resource ServicesĀ and Operations

Untitled Document

Resources for Growing Families

Whether you are just thinking about starting a family or your family is in active-expansion mode, this page is designed to bring together links to a variety of family-related information, programs and resources that may prove useful to you.

Be aware that whether your family is growing by virtue of marriage, birth or adoption, these "life change events" throw open a narrow window of opportunity for benefits-eligible faculty and staff to make changes to several of their benefits. Changes must be made within 20 days of your life change event, or the window closes. If you have questions related to benefits, leaves, accommodations, etc., contact Human Resource Services by e-mail at, or call 656-3150.

The Early Days

Whether this is your first child or you're a pro at this, there are a lot of details to keep in mind.

Pregnancy/Adoption Resources

Pregnant Woman

Nursing Mother Resources

Childcare Resources

Your Healthcare Coverage

Information about dependent eligibility and adding a dependent to existing coverage can be found under the Eligibility section of each of the Employee Benefit Plans. Be aware that there is a 20-day window of opportunity to add dependents. See your specific benefit plan for more information.

About Your Leave

Non-represented staff should see the document entitled Leave Information for Non-Represented Staff (pdf). Represented staff and faculty should consult their appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement for leave information.

Recognize that there are many unexpected details related to leaves. For instance, contributions to Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and/or dependent care) stop during an unpaid leave. As a result, it is highly desirable for faculty and staff planning a leave of absence to make an appointment to discuss details with an Employee Advisor in HRS. To schedule an appointment, plan as far ahead as possible and e-mail

Forms Related to Leaves

Faculty and staff should consult with HRS or with their HR Rep to determine which forms are required in their particular situation.

  • Leave of Absence
  • Personnel Action (completed by the department, after the Leave of Absence form has been completed)
  • Salary Distribution (completed by the department, after the Leave of Absence form has been completed)

Work and Family Balance

Outside Resources

Last modified November 07 2017 02:28 PM