TN-1 status is available for Canadian and Mexican citizens in research and teaching positions. Other occupations specified in the NAFTA Treaty for which the employee has the required minimum qualifications may also qualify for this status. 

Immigration Request Process

Submit the following documents electronically to

  1. Employee name
  2. Departmental job offer letter (including specific start date)
  3. Position description (including requirements for the position)
  4. Salary information, if not included in the offer letter

Processing and Timeline FAQs

How far in advance should the department request TN status?

Departments should request TN status 1 month prior to expected start date.

What costs are involved in sponsoring an employee for TN status?

There are no to minimal costs for a TN visa.

Is there a special process for setting up a new foreign national employee with Human Resources?

Foreign national employees should be set up with Human Resources as any other university hire.  Please see this explanation of the UVM Human Resources Process for additional information.

Post-Approval Next Steps

New UVM Employees: Getting Approval

Upon creating the TN request letter, the OIE will send it by UPS Express to the employee.  He/she can anticipate receiving it within 3-5 business days.  Electronic copies are not advisable.

Returning UVM Employees: Updating the I-9

Employees who recently were working at UVM in TN status, and are returning to UVM to work another semester/academic year, simply need to make an appointment with the OIE to update or complete a new I-9.

Post-Arrival Check-In

All TN status holders must formally check in with the Office of International Education on or before the first day of work. To schedule an appointment, please call 802-656-4296. When scheduling an appointment, we will need to know the name and visa category of the new arrival.

During check-in, we will:

  • Complete and authorize I-9
  • Complete the International Information Form (IIF) for the University Controller's Office.  This form ensures that the foreign national is taxed properly.
  • Refer to the Social Security Administration when relevant for SSN application
  • Provide general orientation and answers about getting settled in Vermont


Still have questions?  Contact us at or 802-656-4296.