• UVM Library: Working at the multimedia lab

F-1 and J-1 students enrolled in a full course of study at the University of Vermont are eligible to work for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students may work full-time (20+ Hours) during vacation periods as long as they will continue studies in the following academic term. If summer is a student's first or last term, they are limited to 20 hours per week of work. J-1 students have to get special authorization before they can begin work.

Limits to Employment

International students are limited to 20 hours per week of on-campus employment during all required semesters of enrollment. All fall and spring semesters are subject to this limit. Summer is also subject to the limit if it is a student's final semester. If summer is not a student's final term, they may work full-time. Full-time is anything more than 20 hours per week for immigration purposes. 

UVM full graduate assistantships are considered 20 hours per week, as are UVM Resident Advisor roles through Residential Life. No additional work is permitted for students in these roles. 

The 20-hour limit is the total for all on-campus jobs jobs. This is a federal policy and there are no exceptions to this rule. Exceeding this limit is a serious violation of your student status and could result in the termination of your SEVIS record. Likewise, taking a job which is not considered on-campus employment has serious consequences, and students who are not sure if a job counts or not should meet with our staff to discuss before beginning work. 

What kinds of jobs can I take?

Here are some guidelines for on-campus jobs you can take as an international student:

  • On-campus jobs include any jobs for which UVM will pay you, but also could include work with commercial firms on the UVM campus which provide a direct service to students, such as working in the UVM dining halls. UVM considers being a Community Advisor with Redstone Lofts to be on-campus employment as well. 
  • On campus jobs do not need to be related to your academic field of study. You can work for any office or department on campus.
  • International students are not eligible for the federal work study program. Only US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for federal work study jobs.
  • UVM Resident Advisor positions are considered to constitute 20 hours per week of employment. No additional work is possible.
  • Redstone Lofts Community Advisor positions are considered to constitute 10 hours per week of employment. Up to 10 additional hours per week of on-campus employment is permitted. 

Some jobs might seem like on-campus jobs but are not. Examples include:

  • Any work for the UVM Medical Center is not UVM On-Campus employment. The UVMMC is a seperate organization that does not primarily serve the students of the University of Vermont. 
  • While working for Redstone Lofts is OK as on-campus employment, working in a general capacity for Redstone Properties would not be. Similarly, working for Sodexo in a UVM dining hall is allowed but working for Sodexo as a corporation is not. 

How to Find an On-Campus Job

International students work in many different places on campus. Some common locations for undergraduate students include the Learning Co-Op, Residential Life (as Resident Advisors), in the UVM Davis Center, library support, the UVM gym, and in other campus offices. Graduate students commonly work as teaching or research assistants. The OIE sends weekly newsletters which include on-campus job opportunities. However, these are some other ideas to find an on-campus job:

  • Check out the on-campus job board: Undergraduate and exchange students can access the UVM Job Board and apply for positions around campus. This is not open to graduate students. The on-campus job board can be accessed through the “Student Financial Services” tab in your MyUVM account.
  • Speak to faculty/staff in departments around campus: Graduate students should speak with faculty to find out about teaching and research opportunities. Exchange students can also find out about open positions by speaking to departments of interest.
  • Look for posters around campus: Some departments advertise hiring through posters on campus. The bulletin boards in the Davis Center are a common location to look.

Employment Eligibility Verification and Social Security Numbers

Once you are hired, you will complete paperwork documenting your employment eligibility. All J-1 students must obtain written authorization from their J-1 sponsor before completing this paperwork. For UVM-sponsored students, this is done through iStart. Students sponsored through another organization should contact their sponsor or can consult an OIE advisor for more information. You will also need to obtain a US Social Security Number (SSN) if you do not already have one. You can read more about obtaining a Social Security Number here