University of Vermont

Immigration for International Students

Immigration is an important part of being an international student in the USA. The US government has many rules for students who are not US Citizens and Permanent Residents. Students must remember these rules. This page describes the rules for F-1 and J-1 students. If you are in another visa category, speak to the OIE or to you attorney to understand the rules of your status.

A few basic tips will get you started. To maintain status, all F-1/J-1 students must…

  • Enroll full-time (with a few exceptions)
  • Update the Office of International Education with address changes within 10 days of the change
  • Update the Office of International Education with other changes (change of major, name change, change of degree type) within 21 days of the change
  • Follow all rules for on and off-campus employment

These are the main rules, though there are also smaller rules about travel, visa renewals, and other important details. Click on the appropriate links below for details.

F-1 Students

F-1 is the most common immigration status for international students in the USA. This is a non-immigrant status. This information applies to F-1 students and their dependents:

J-1 Students

J-1 exchange visitors are generally at UVM for a short period of time before returning home to complete their degrees. However, some students do come to the USA for a degree in J-1 status. Often, these are students sponsored by organizations such as Fulbright, IREX, or other governmental funding. This information applies to J-1 students and their dependents:



Last modified November 16 2015 03:12 PM

Contact UVM © 2015 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131