The Faculty Senate provides curricular resources to assist faculty seeking guidelines, timelines, and process for curricular proposals, General Education course approval, or Academic Program Review.
Please refer to the Timeline for Policy & Proposal Review Process (see below) for important information regarding the timing of the review and approval process
- New Program Proposal Cover Sheet (PDF)
- Proposal for New Academic Program (PDF)
- Substantial Revisions to Existing Academic Programs: Definitions and Approval Process (PDF)
- Proposal to Substantially Revise an Existing Academic Program (PDF)
- Proposal to Terminate an Academic Program - updated 12/20 (PDF)
- Proposal to Deactivate an Academic Program - updated 12/20 (PDF)
- Proposal to Reactivate an Academic Program (PDF)
- Proposal for Academic Minor (PDF)
- Proposal for Undergraduate Certificate Program (PDF)
- Standards for Certificates of Graduate Study (PDF)
- Standards for Micro-Certificates of Graduate Study (PDF)
- Guidelines for Academic Department & Program Name Change (PDF)
- Procedure for Course Mediation Process (PDF)
- Unit Curriculum Committee Tips (PDF)
Proposal Timeline & Routing Process
General Education Course Approval Process
There are currently four approved General Education requirements at UVM: Diversity, Foundational Writing & Information Literacy, Sustainability, and Quantitative Reasoning.
Faculty are invited to submit proposals for courses proposed for inclusion in the General Education curriculum. Once the course proposal has been completed and submitted electronically in UVM's CourseLeaf system, it will follow the workflow established for the specific college or school, ultimately making its way to the appropriate General Education Review Committee. General Education Program.
Academic Program Review
Academic Program Reveiw (APR) is a cyclical process for evaluating and continuously enhancing the quality and currency of academic programs. APR is conducted through the Faculty Senate's Curricular Affairs Committee in partnership with the Office of the Provost. Academic Program Review Schedule and Guidelines