• aerial

Here are a few of our most frequently asked questions. Don't see your question? Contact us.

For the most current information about how COVID-19 (Coronavirus) may affect your event, please visit the University's dedicated resource page


FAQs for Non-UVM Groups

Does UVM provide free Wi-Fi for my event?

Yes! We offer free wireless internet for all guests.

Do I need insurance for my event? How do I obtain it?

Yes. Clients are responsible for having in effect a policy, or policies, of commercial or board form comprehensive general liability insurance of not less than $1,000,000 combined in a single limit per occurrence, $2,000,000 annual aggregate, including contractual liability, naming The University of Vermont as an additional insured on the policy.

If you do not have insurance, or if your limits are less than what is mentioned above, speak with your insurance company about increasing the limit. Alternatively, you can purchase a Tenants’ and Users’ Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP insurance). Use UVM’s code when you register: 4262.

What types of spaces are available? Can I see photos?

UVM has a variety of spaces that can be customized to fit your event. Check out Our Venues to see a selection of available classrooms, lecture halls, ballrooms and outdoor spaces.

Are your facilities ADA compliant?

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, The University of Vermont is committed to ensuring that its facilities are accessible to individuals with disabilities. If any member of your group has special needs, please inform your coordinator of this prior to the start of your program. Our team will work with you ensure the needs of all guests are met.

What audio visual/IT services does University Event Services provide and what are the prices?

UVM offers a variety of production services for your event including AV equipment rental, set up and support. Many of our venues are equipped with AV equipment and included in the cost of rental. For those times you need additional equipment of support (such as up-lighting or sound support) our team is happy to work with you.

Do you host athletic camps?

Yes; UVM hosts a number of athletic camps during the summer. Contact us to learn more about bringing your camp to UVM.

Do I need to pay for parking on campus?

Yes. Your coordinator can arrange for parking both on and off campus. On campus parking permits will be emailed to you in advance of your event. If you have off campus parking, your coordinator can help to arrange for hire shuttle service to and from campus.

Do you have a code of conduct?

Yes.  A copy of our Code of Conduct brochure can be found online.  A copy of our full Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards is also posted on our website.

What’s there to do in the area?

UVM is conveniently located to many of the area’s attractions including Burlington’s acclaimed Church Street Marketplace, Lake Champlain, the Green Mountains and more. 


FAQs for UVM Faculty, Staff & Students

How do I request space on campus for an event?

Use EMS Portal, our virtual reservation system, to book space on campus. Within the system you can search for available rooms and request additional services (such as catering).

How to I activate my EMS account?

All new users must complete a brief online EMS training and complete a short quiz to activate their account.

How far in advance do I need to reserve space?

We recommend reserving your room as soon as possible. At a minimum, requests must be submitted at least 7 business days prior to the event date. If you need a catering waiver, submit your request 14 business days prior. If the event requires police services or if it is large, outdoors, or high risk in nature, submit your request at least 21 business days prior to your event date

What type of food service is available?

Visit our Catering Guidelines page to learn about available options.

What happens if I have to cancel my event?

If you are canceling an event within 7 business days, contact our team. If you are canceling more than 7 business days before the event, you may cancel within EMS. Please note the only person who can authorize a cancellation is the one who initiated the request in EMS.

There are no cancellation fees. However, you will be charged for any labor already performed.

What fees should I be aware of when planning an event?

In general, you should be prepared to pay fees for:

  • Set-up and break-down
  • Custodial
  • Catering
  • Parking Permits
  • UVMPD (if necessary)
  • Accessibility needs (i.e. sign language interpreters, if necessary)

Depending on the specific needs of your event, some of the above fees may not apply.

What AV services does University Event Services provide?

University Event Services offers a variety of production services for your event including AV equipment rental, set up and support. Many of our venues are equipped with basic AV equipment which cuts down on additional costs to clients. If you need additional equipment or support our team is happy to work with you.

Can I have alcohol at my event?

Alcohol is only permitted at certain events on campus. For more information, refer to the University’s Student Drug & Alcohol Policy and/or Employee Alcohol Policy. Please note that UVM Dining is the exclusive provider of alcohol on campus.

How can I advertise my event on campus?

Within the Davis Center you may post advertisements on the public bulletin boards located on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Please note all flyers are removed from the bulletin boards each Sunday. You can also submit an advertisement to be included in the rotation on the flat screens. Additional information about advertising in the Davis Center can be found on the Davis Center website.

What additional support can your team provide?

Our team can assist you with all of the details of planning your event. Commonly used services include our Coordination and Registration services.

How do I use tickets for my event?

Our team provides a ticketing service through the Davis Center 3rd Floor Information Desk. Your guests can use online or printed tickets. To start the process, complete the ticketing request. Once completed, our team will be in touch to discuss options and pricing with you. There is a small fee for this service which is depended upon the ticket price.

What is UVM's code of conduct?

A copy of our Code of Conduct brochure can be found online.  A copy of our full Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards is also posted on our website.

FAQs about Summer Accommodations

Is parking included?

Parking is included for guests who have overnight on-campus accommodations. Daily and weekly passes are also provided to guests not staying overnight for a small charge.

Do any of the rooms have AC?

Yes. Accommodations in University Heights and Central Campus include AC. Standard rooms in our other residence halls do not include AC.

Do you provide linens?

Rooms in University Heights come with linens, and beds will be premade for guests. Accommodations in a standard residence hall or at the Central Campus Residence Hall do not include linen; however linen packet rentals can be added for a small additional cost. Please note that beds will not be premade for guests staying in these residence halls.

Is laundry access provided with overnight accommodations?

Laundry access is provided onsite as part of overnight accommodations.

Can I use the gym?

You may purchase a pass to the fitness center.

Do you offer temporary housing to groups from out of town?

Yes. We offer a safe, convenient and affordable option for out of town guests for special occasions such as UVM Commencement and the Vermont City Marathon. Please note we have a two night minimum stay.

Where can I eat?

Dining options vary based on your group’s location and length of stay. Your coordinator will work with you to set up access to our summer dining halls or to arrange for catering. Either way, the dining team is able to accommodate the allergy and dietary needs of your group.

In addition to on-campus options, the city of Burlington boasts a variety of restaurants, cafes, and bars.

How do you ensure the safety of minors staying on campus?

We house minors in a specific minors-only building. Additionally, boys and girls are separated by floor. Chaperones for youth groups will be housed on the floor with their same-gendered participants.

What is UVM's code of conduct?

A copy of our Code of Conduct brochure can be found online.  A copy of our full Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards is also posted on our website.