University of Vermont

Recycling & Waste Management

UVM Surplus Property program

UVM Surplus Property

November 6, 2018 Update: The Wheelock Barn is closed for the season and winter months.
Public surplus sales will re-open in late Spring 2019. Please check back then.

Welcome to the UVM Surplus Barn. We sell used furniture and miscellaneous discards from the University of Vermont campus. We are open during spring, summer and autumn months only.

Sign Up for UVM Surplus Email List

Click here to join our email listserv and get monthly alerts about schedule changes and special offers.

Directions to the Wheelock Barn

The Barn is located at the corner of Swift Street and Spear Street in South Burlington. Here's a handy map to get you there:

View Larger Map

Sample of Items for Sale (Actual Items May Vary)

Typical items for sale include office chairs, desks, tables, filing cabinets and other institutional office furniture. There is no guarantee that specific items pictured are still at the Barn. Note, we do not offer retail sales of old computers or electronic equipment to the general public.

Visit the UVM Surplus Photo Album.

Instructions for the General Public - Conditions of Sales

We accept checks payable to "University of Vermont" only. Sorry, we do not take credit cards or cash.  All prices are inclusive of a State of Vermont 6% Sales Tax and a 1% Burlington Local Option Sales Tax for a total of seven (7%) Sales Tax. All sales are final. No returns, no refunds, no guarantees. All items must be removed from premises at the time of sale. Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Organizations must bring certificate of tax-exempt status and pay with official agency check to receive a discount.

Discount and Donations for Non-Profit Organizations

501(c)(3) Organizations receive a discount. Must bring certificate of tax-exempt status and payment must be made with official agency check. Periodically, we will donate used furniture to non-profit organizations. Just ask!

Instructions for University Departments

How to Request a Surplus Pickup

Any surplus item: (e.g. furniture, computers, equipment, miscellaneous items)  University departments must submit a FAMIS Service Request on-line. After we receive your request, the UVM Surplus/Recycling team will pick up your items and determine whether they are suitable for resale, scrap, recycling or disposal. Departments are charged a nominal hauling fee for pick up and/or disposal of surplus items from their office.

Appliances, Laboratory Equipment and Movable Equipment: University departments must fill out a Surplus Disposal Form for each individual item, in addition to submitting the FAMIS Self-Serve Request. Departments must download and complete the form for appliances, laboratory equipment and movable equipment.  (This form is not required for furniture and computer equipment.)  Complete the form, make a copy. Attach one copy to the item and send original copy to UVM Surplus via campus mail, fax or email.  For more information on procedures, please phone Surplus/Recycling at 656-5731 or email <>

Computers and CPU's: University departments are required to remove all data and software from their computers prior to pickup. Click Here for erase instructions from UVM Enterprise Technology Services (ETS) on how to sufficiently erase your computer's harddrive. (Note: You will need at UVM netid and password to log in to this site).

Old Vehicles, Trailers and Licensed Equipment: All University vehicles must be sold by competitive bid. Contact us for details.

How to Make a Purchase of Surplus with your Department Budget

UVM departments can shop during our regular weekly sales hour. Department must bring a "Chart String" budget number to pay for items. Please use the Peoplesoft form to write your Chart String legibly!

For More Information

For more information about the UVM Surplus Property program, please call:  UVM Recycling Office - (802) 656-5731 or email to: RECYCLE (at) UVM.EDU

Links to Related Web Sites

Last modified January 08 2019 10:35 AM