We will meet with anyone, anytime, anywhere to discuss IBB. Contact Alberto Citarella to schedule a meeting.
Information for Students
- IBB Final Report - January 29, 2015
- IBB Preliminary Final Report Feedback - October 8, 2014
- President Sullivan's Response to the IBB Preliminary Final Report: July 9, 2014
- IBB Preliminary Final Report - June 30, 2014
The Origin of IBB at UVM
In academic year 2012-13, the University community engaged in a discussion about the characteristics and operation of its existing budget model. Those discussions included governance leaders, Trustees, academic and administrative business managers, members of the Faculty Senate, and other constituents. There was uniform agreement on the model’s problems: lack of transparency, undue complexity, little flexibility, and few incentives.
President Sullivan asked Provost David Rosowsky, in his role as UVM’s Chief Budget Officer, to lead the effort to develop a new incentive-based budget (IBB) model for the University. The Provost chaired the IBB Steering Committee that was responsible for the final recommendations that were made to the President on the design and methodology of an overall incentive-based budget model for the University of Vermont. The IBB model was developed in FY14. Its performance was monitored in FY15 –the parallel year – during which the old model remained in place. The UVM IBB model went live in FY16.
The development, implementation and continuing assessment of the Incentive-based Budget Model will be guided by the Academic Excellence Goals for the University of Vermont and the following principles:
- Creates incentives that promote academic quality and excellence
- Creates incentives at all levels of the University that promote financial sustainability
- Encourages innovation and entrepreneurship throughout the University
- Provides transparency, clarity, and predictability
- Can be easily understood, is easy to implement and operate, and is flexible
- Can operate in all cycles of the economy, whether robust or downturn
- Fosters interdisciplinary scholarly and teaching activity
Last modified March 18 2016 09:26 AM