We will meet with anyone, anytime, anywhere to discuss IBB. Contact Alberto Citarella to schedule a meeting.
IBB at UVM
In FY13, the University community engaged in a discussion about the characteristics and operation of its existing budget model. Those discussions included governance leaders, Trustees, academic and administrative business managers, members of the Faculty Senate, and other constituents. There was uniform agreement on the model’s problems: lack of transparency, undue complexity, little flexibility, and few incentives.
President Sullivan asked Provost David Rosowsky, in his new role as UVM’s Provost and Chief Budget Officer, to lead the effort to develop a new incentive-based budget (IBB) model for the University. The Provost chaired the IBB Steering Committee that was responsible for the final recommendations that were made to the President on the design and methodology of an overall incentive-based budget model for the University of Vermont. The IBB model was developed in FY14. Its performance was monitored in FY15 –the parallel year – during which the old model remained in place. The UVM IBB model went live in FY16.
Since FY14, the IBB Steering Committee has met regularly, first to develop the model, and then to watch the model “at work.” The Committee recommended refinements in response to challenges that became apparent early in the model’s operation, and as planned, conducted a major review of IBB Model 1.0 between November 2017 and December 2018. The result of this review was IBB Model 2.0, effective FY20.
The Steering Committee will continue to meet to assess the model’s performance and impact. Metrics associated with the model are reviewed annually. The next major review of the model will occur in FY24, with the implementation of IBB Model 3.0 in FY25.
The IBB website is used to post and archive all information relative to the development, implementation, and adaptation of the University’s budget model.
The development, implementation and continuing assessment of the Incentive-based Budget Model will be guided by the Academic Excellence Goals for the University of Vermont and the IBB Guiding Principles.
IBB Model 2.0 Final Report
IBB Model 2.0 Input
- Input from Deans, Vice Presidents, and Governance Groups
- Input from Campus Surveys 1 and 2
- Running List of Input Captured Since July 1, 2015
Educational Stewardship Committee
- Educational Stewardship Committee
- Educational Stewardship Committee Data Summary Report 2017-2018 – April 2, 2018
IBB Model 1.0 Review
- IBB 1.0 Evaluation - University-wide Indicators of Success - November 20, 2018
- IBB Model 1.0 Review - November 7, 2017
Information for Students
- Vermont Cynic - Letter to the Editor from Provost Rosowsky - April 7, 2016
- Information for Students about IBB at UVM - November 4, 2015
IBB 1.0 Final Report
- IBB Final Report - January 29, 2015
- IBB Preliminary Final Report Feedback - October 8, 2014
- President Sullivan's Response to the IBB Preliminary Final Report - July 9, 2014
- IBB Preliminary Final Report - June 30, 2014
Last modified February 20 2019 07:24 AM