The James Peck house, located at 61 South Willard street was built in 1872 and is a two and one-half-story, two by three bay, brick, Italianate structure. It represents one of the early post-civil War residences on South Willard street.1 The building has an easterly front gable orientation and has minimal setback from the street. Its massing is rectangular block with a square, three story, northwest corner tower with a Mansard hipped roof and an attached one story rear ell. The foundation is redstone, the brick on the façade is of the American bond pattern and the roof is red slate. Fenestration is 2/2 windows with wood lintels and projecting floral design centers made of wood. The tower has an oval window on the east façade at the second floor level. The third floor of the tower has a window with an arched hood-mold and matching floral patterned lintels.
James Peck the owner at
the time, was a partner in a dry goods business on Church Street with his
brother, until his death in 1898. The building was then purchased by Mr. Warren
G. Reynolds, a salesmen/carpet storeowner in 1899.2 Reynolds resided here until
his death in 1908 and his wife Martha resided here until her passing in 1936.
The house was then willed to their daughter Anna who converted the house into
two apartments, one where she resided. In 1975, Albert St. Amand purchased the
house and Bruce Latelle.3 In 1976, the building underwent intensive remodeling,
which included sandblasting of the brick façade, removal of the front porch,
and replacement of the front bay windows with casement windows. Today, a
dentist's office and an apartment occupy the Peck house.
1. Burlington Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, 1977.
2. Burlington City Directories, various years.
3. Burlington City Tax Assessors Records