The George Hagar house, located at 337 College Street, is the single best example of Gothic Revival architecture in Burlington.1 Situated on a large, shaded lot, its plan is a gabled, symmetrical cross with steeply pitched roof and verge boarding. Arched, cast iron window heads, stylized wood trim, front bay window, and round gable windows further enrich the style. All four gables have steep raking eaves with cutout vergeboarding and pendants on the corners. The fenestration features 2/2 windows, cast iron sills on the west elevation with wood sills elsewhere. The front gable has a bay window with vergeboard cornice; second story window has a flat, cast iron head with labels. Round windows in the side gables. The entrance on the right side, has a granite sill and lintel, the oak door has paired, round arched lights and panels. A large porch which serves the entrance has turned posts and cut out rails.2
The house was built in 1871 for George Hagar, son of Luther Hagar, on the side of the father's brick house located next door. George returned home after the Civil War in 1865 and married the girl next door, moved into his father's hardware business, and built this house. In the 1920's Mrs. Larner purchased the house from George Hagar. The current occupant of the building is the Lisaius Marketing Company, formerly Brick House Creative Company.3
1. Burlington Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, 1977.
2. Burlington Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, 1977.
3. Burlington City Tax Assessors Records