George Bigelow house (Cushing Hall), built in 1872, located at 246 South
Willard street, is a two- story brick Colonial Revival structure that is set
back on the easterly side of the street. It is a three-by- three bay, nearly
square plan with a truncated standing seam, metal-hipped roof crowned by wood
balustrade deck. Urn posts once adorned the balustrade corners, but have been
removed for future replacement.1 To the north and east elevations are attached
brick veneer two story ells. The north wing is original, as indicated by the
1890 Hopkins map.2
The foundation is redstone and the exterior elevation is in the American bond pattern. A plain wooden veranda with chamfered posts extends the perimeter of the main façade at the south wall. Fenestration is 2/2 double hung sashes at the second level with cast iron segmental arched lintels. First story windows flanking the entrance are small multi-paned round head windows. The ornate, Colonial Revival entrance, features a six-panel door flanked by two ionic pilasters. Above the door is a multi-paned transom light intercepted by a semi-circular segmental fanlight. A fixed multi-paned Palladian window is centered at the second floor, above which is an oculus ventilator.
This house was built for George and Elizabeth Bigelow. Mr. Bigelow was the editor of the Burlington Free Press and Times. Charles E. Miner, an agent for Western Loans, an investment loan company located at 163 Main street, purchased the house in 1885.3 In 1889, Clarinda Miner, widow of Martin Miner, also lived in the residence until her death in 1895. Charles E. Miner continued to reside here until 1904 when he relocated to Washington D.C. Clarence Morgan, treasure of the Rutland Railroad resided here from 1904-1911. George Marks, vice president of the Chittenden Trust Company, resided here form 1918-1952.4 It was purchased by Champlain College in 1962 and today houses some Accounting and Computer Systems faculty, office of the Single Parents Program, as well as two classroom computer labs.
1. Burlington Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, 1977.
2. Hopkins Map, 1890
3. Burlington City Directories, various years
4. Burlington City Tax Assessors Records