This Gothic Revival house, built between 1870 and 1877 and
easily identifiable on the 1877 Bird's-Eye-View map, has survived
with many of its original details intact. The one and one-half
story, gable-front ell house has an additional gable centered
in the ell. A cantilevered door hood sheltering the front door
also points to the Gothic Revival style. The house retains its
original clapboard and variegated slate roof. A one story porch
set in the ell is a later addition and has an asphalt roof. Several
small additions have been added to the rear of this structure.
The 1881-83 Burlington City Directory lists the first known
residents of this house as Lucy, Louis, and Alexander Paye; both
Louis and Alexander were carpenters. All three Payes lived at
this address in 1885, as well as a boarder named George Fleury,
an employee of Walker, Hatch, and Company, a stair and cabinet-building
company. In 1890, Antoine Goddette, a barber with a shop at 184
South Battery, lived at this address. By 1895, three women,
at least two of whom were widows, resided here: Julia Lagualt,
Sarah A. McClellan, and Mrs. Julian Rogers.
 Burlington City Directory, 1890.
 Burlington City Directory, 1895.