With its Art Deco exterior, this building appears at first
glance to be an early twentieth century addition to the Church
Street business district. Like many other commercial buildings
in the downtown area, this structure has a later façade
that replaces the original 1875 building front. Sanborn maps
indicate that the original façade was a brick veneer,
but beyond this, its original appearance is unknown.
23 Church Street housed the store of Rowley and Prior, which sold meats, groceries and provisions  from 1875 until around the turn of the century. L.H. Prior, partner in the grocery store, lived above the store at least part of this time.
 David J. Blow. Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods. (Burlington: Chittenden County Historical Society, 1991), 148.
 Adele Cramer, Historic Sites and Structures Survey, 22-24 Church Street, Burlington, Vermont. June 14, 1977.
 Burlington City Directory, 1885.
 Adele Cramer, Historic Sites and Structures Survey, 23 Church Street, Burlington, Vermont. June 13, 1977.