Office of the General Counsel
Statement of Purpose
The Office of the General Counsel is committed to advancing the educational mission of UVM through the effective provision of legal services. Our purpose is to provide, manage, and coordinate all legal services for the University, and to assist in minimizing legal risks and costs efficiently, reliably, and professionally.
Scope of Representation
The Office of the General Counsel represents UVM as an institutional client, the institution acting through its authorized officials, including the Board of Trustees, the President, the Provost and Senior Vice President, Vice Presidents, deans and directors, and other persons responsible for the management of academic and administrative units. The Office does not provide personal legal advice or representation to UVM administrators, faculty, students, or staff.
The Office of the General Counsel is exclusively responsible for engaging the services of outside law firms for specialized legal needs.
Description of Services
The Office of the General Counsel provides a wide array of legal services. Among other activities, the Office:
- Anticipates and advises UVM officials and personnel on the legal implications of policy and other administrative decisions
- Drafts, reviews, and makes recommendations to UVM officials regarding institutional contracts and policies
- Represents and oversees legal representation of UVM in significant commercial transactions, litigation, and agency proceedings
- Oversees the University Compliance Office and Program
- Offers and participates in educational programs regarding laws and legal issues affecting higher education
- Monitors and communicates with clients proactively regarding legal developments relevant to University operations and campus life
All materials provided on this website, including the contents of linked pages, are provided for general informational purposes only. While we seek to provide links to current and authoritative information, neither UVM nor this office guarantees the accuracy of information accessible online; therefore, this information must not be relied upon as substitute for legal advice from a qualified attorney. Please contact a UVM Office of the General Counsel attorney to obtain current legal advice specifically responsive to your questions.
Last modified February 16 2012 12:43 PM