University of Vermont

College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Department of Rehabilitation and Movement Science

Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Movement Science

The University of Vermont's Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Movement Science degree program engages students in the theory and application of movement science in health, fitness and disease prevention in diverse populations.

Students benefit from low student-to-faculty ratios and a program that facilitates early engagement, hands-on experience, and applied interprofessional learning. Laboratory-based coursework introduces students to state-of-the-art technologies and tools, including 3D spatial kinematic modeling, metabolic cart and fitness testing, and DEXA Scan technology. Additionally, a wide range of clinical, research, and community experiences exist under the supervision of faculty researchers and clinicians in exercise physiology, adapted physical activity, pediatric obesity, biomechanics, kinesiology, motor control, and exercise psychology.

Curriculum

Select year of program entry:

Consult the UVM Course Catalogue for specific requirements by catalogue year. Academic standards are outlined in the CNHS Undergraduate Handbook.

Senior Capstone Experience

In the senior year, students participate in a capstone experience under the direct supervision of health and wellness professionals on campus or at an off-campus affiliate site. Senior capstone experiences include - but are not limited to - clinical internships in the community, research assistantships and independent faculty-mentored research, service learning projects, and teaching assistantships.

Exercise and Movement Science Faculty

UVM Exercise and Movement Science faculty are selected for their areas of expertise and commitment to research and education.

Careers

UVM's modest student cohort size ensures the consistent development of well-prepared, academically strong students who benefit from tailored academic and career advising, research opportunities, and flexibility within the curriculum to allow individualized growth and career preparation.

UVM Exercise and Movement Science alumni work in a variety of settings, including health and wellness promotion programs, exercise prescription and programming businesses, and the health and fitness industry. Recent graduates have taken positions in fitness settings, corporate wellness, research labs, adaptive sports programs, and community organizations including the YMCA, Spaulding Rehabilitation, VT Adaptive Ski and Sports, The New York Rangers of the NHL, and the U.S. Paralympic Ski Program. Learn more.

The baccalaureate degree provides a foundation for masters and doctoral study. Past graduates have entered graduate programs in exercise science, kinesiology, physical activity and exercise behavior, public health, and exercise psychology. Many students pursue advanced clinical degrees in physical and occupational therapy or medicine, or to become physician's assistants.

According to recent alumni data, approximately 80% of UVM alumni pursue advanced degrees following graduation, with the remaining 20% either entering the work force or completing additional pre-requisite coursework or internships in support of advanced training.

Opportunities for Students

Opportunities for involvement in student organizations like UVM Emergency Rescue, club and varsity sports, and student government are widely available.

The Exercise and Movement Science Club participates in regular fundraising and community events centered on health and wellness, as well as fundraising to support student research and travel to regional and national research colloquia and conferences. Some exercise and movement science students also participate in the UVM Honors College.

With thoughtful planning and communication with an advisor early in their academic career, exercise and movement science students have studied abroad in Greece, Australia, and New Zealand, among other places.

Many Exercise and Movement Science students become involved in faculty-led undergraduate research in the Human Motion Analysis Laboratory, Physical Activity Laboratory, Exercise Behavior Laboratory, or Adapted Physical Activity Laboratory. Many students are also vested in co-authoring publications and presentations with faculty mentors in the field.

For More Information

UVM College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Office of Student Services
002 Rowell Building
106 Carrigan Dr.
Burlington, VT 05405-0068
Phone: (802) 656-3858
Email: cnhsoss@uvm.edu

APPLY TO THE UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT'S BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN EXERCISE AND MOVEMENT SCIENCE PROGRAM

Already an undergraduate student? Learn about the transfer process.

Last modified December 09 2014 10:50 AM