Community Development and Applied Economics
Minor: Green Building and Community Design
The Green Building and Community Design minor allows students to explore the integration of design principles and application of renewable energy, natural building materials, and ecological landscape into building design and community development.
Unique to Green Building and Community Design...
- Innovative construction techniques merged with community design and planning.
- Hands-on experience planning for and working with environmentally friendly materials.
- Holistic approach to design that incorporates functionality as well as landscape features and energy flows.
- Unique partnership with Yestermorrow Design/Build School.
Note: Semester designations are only a guide, please confirm the courses are available when you need them on the UVM course directory. In order to maximize your portfolio take as many studio classes as possible, which are labeled.
Required Courses (18 credits):
GBCD Basics (choose three courses/nine credits)
- CDAE 001 Drafting and Design Drawing (spring and fall)
- CDAE 101 Computer Aided Drafting and Design (DATACAD or ARCHICAD) (spring and fall)
- CDAE 118 Visual Presentation Techniques (spring) (Formally Sketch and Illustration)
Energy and Sustainable Green Communities (Choose 2 courses/6 credits)
- CDAE 102 Sustainable Community Dev (3 cr)
- CDAE 131 Light Frame Construction
- CDAE 171 Community and International Economic Transformation (3 cr)
- CDAE 186 Sustain Dev Sm Island States (3 cr)
- CDAE 276 Community Design Sudio (3 cr)
- CDAE 273 Project Planning and Development
- NR/CDAE 289 Advanced Ecological Design Studio
- CDAE 295 Restorative Envir Dsgn Studio
- ENVS 177 Intro to Landscape Restoration
- PSS 156 Permaculture
- PSS 208 Organic Farm Planning
- PSS 238 Ecological Landscape Design
- NR 185 SL: Place Based Ecological Dsgn
- NR 288 Ecological Design/Living Technologies
Green Building and Community Design Faculty and Staff...
Last modified April 04 2014 11:20 AM